Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

role cage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by limey, Mar 6, 2003.

1. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

I just got my transfer case in and am I am now looking toward a role cage. I don’t want to buy one because no one has what I want. So I went out and bought a 15 ton pipe bender bends up to 3in pipe. There is a lot of 2 7/8 tubing around here but the ways like 7.5lbs a foot. 2in pipe is pretty cheep and a lot lighter but still looks pritty strong. What do yall use I want something like this http://coloradok5.com/photos/data/504/3030pictures_2fp1220018_1_-med.jpg thanks for all the help.

2. Eck

Eck Registered Member

Do not use a pipe bender to bend tube. Do a search as there is a lot of information on this matter. Good luck

3. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

i searched before i posted and i couldent find any info on what size pipe to use . dose any one know what size pipe the factory role bar is

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

there is a BIG difference between pipe and tube.
    pipe is used for plumming aand tubing is used for ROLL cages.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i searched before i posted and i couldent find any info on what size pipe to use . dose any one know what size pipe the factory role bar is

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I used pipe to make a tow bar, but I wouldn't use it to make a roll cage.
    Sure it will be strong but also will weigh a ton.
    Pipe is around 1/4" thick, tubing is usually 1/8", and that makes a lot of difference, plus pipe is measured in Internal Diameter (ID) and tube is measured in Outer Diameter (OD).
    So you add about 1/2" to the nominal size of pipe you see and you get the size in tubing:
    a 2" pipe is actually equal to 2.5" tube.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

7. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    with alittle help from the handy search button i found this
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=297728&Forum=blazer4x4&Words=dom%20tubing&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=297312&Search=true#Post297728
    and this
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=228282&Forum=blazer4x4&Words=dom%20tubing&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=227774&Search=true#Post228282
    there is so much more try searching for ROLL cages not ROLE cages or DOM tubing

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this info is a little miss-leading. pipe AND tubing can be had in the same wall thickness. they can also be had in varying wall thickness from really thin to really thick. we use tubing and pipe at my work and they are the same wall thickness, one is jsut a diff. diameter than the other. wall thickness had nothing to do with something being classified as pipe or tubing.

-Scott

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

who's truck is that? He has a set of our tube doors...killer.

Now, as for the pipe vs tube. Some pipe can hold up better than tube, but it will cost you some weight. go over to pirate4x4.com there's a lot of guys on the toyota board running pipe exocages cause they were crushing tube.

9. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

man those guys on the pirate4x4 go wild the pipe. they got some pritty crazy stuff pritty cool but crazy. the sujestes 2" .120 thanks for the point in the right direction

jonathan