Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roll back an odo?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tayv, Oct 22, 2003.

1. tayv

tayv Registered Member

I know this is not proper, but my friends rig is messed up and he needs to do this to get insurance to cover it for some reason. He won't be selling it so it wont hurt noone. it is a 95 tahoe? any thing to know about these?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Why not just swap speedo's for one with a lower odometer reading.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I know this is not proper, but my friends rig is messed up and he needs to do this to get insurance to cover it for some reason. He won't be selling it so it wont hurt noone. it is a 95 tahoe? any thing to know about these?

[/ QUOTE ]

He may not sell it now but it will probably hurt someone in the future if he does sell it, it also hurts other people paying premiums with that insurance company. It is not proper or legal. It looks like a scam to get money out of an insurance company from what you said above. The policy holders rates are paying for his scam and if enough dishonest people do this the rates end up going up to cover the cost.

I know there is a member on this board that has been hurt because he found out his odometer was rolled back before he got his truck. I have been hurt by someone that cleaned a salvage title by registering it out of state then bringing it back with a clean title. Finding out those little surprises then not being able to get your money's worth from what you invested into a vehicle is a very big PITA /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Dont fool yourself and say it isnt hurting anyone. If it was me in your shoes I would not want anything to do with that so called friend.

4. tayv

tayv Registered Member

The "insurance scam" is actually a aftermarket warranty that he purchase for well more then what the cost of the parts that needing fixin. And he has no intention of leaving it like that. He does want it put back to origianl mileage. That is why I have asked you guys because it is imperative that the ODO does not get broken so that it will continue to work. So with that said please understand that this in no way was mean to offend anyone that has been taken andvantage of in the past. In fact, he is doing this because he has recently lost his job and has no cash to just pay for the repair. He just needs his rig back. Thank you!!

5. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He may not sell it now but it will probably hurt someone in the future if he does sell it, it also hurts other people paying premiums with that insurance company. It is not proper or legal. It looks like a scam to get money out of an insurance company from what you said above. The policy holders rates are paying for his scam and if enough dishonest people do this the rates end up going up to cover the cost.

I know there is a member on this board that has been hurt because he found out his odometer was rolled back before he got his truck. I have been hurt by someone that cleaned a salvage title by registering it out of state then bringing it back with a clean title. Finding out those little surprises then not being able to get your money's worth from what you invested into a vehicle is a very big PITA /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Dont fool yourself and say it isnt hurting anyone. If it was me in your shoes I would not want anything to do with that so called friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Kenny. It amy appear to be a "victimless" crime, but the reality is....................we are all the victims as consumers. Ever wonder why your auto insurance rates are so high. It is because of people like your "friend. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif"

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I recall being told by GM that the newer Odo's will show a gold line between each number on the odo if they're ever rolled back...

I also agree that altering or rolling it back or swapping in another odo is wrong as wrong gets. The ethic's of what you're doing shouldn't depend on your finacial means. What's wrong when you have the money is still wrong when you don't.

Rene

7. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

agreed,

shure it's a small crime..but what next, fake injuries /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

a week from now he will be forcing 6 year old's with mutual funds to sell out, when does it stop, oh the ethical madness /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

some odometer numbers turn green as soon as the oil from your skin touches them as well.. tell your "friend" that he needs to get this thought out of his head..its a BAD idea, like playing with fire..

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Did you know that on newer computer controlled vehicles that the computer has a buffer and saves the info for playback in case of accident.Things like were you braking , accelerating, etc. Perhaps it saves the milage too? just something to ponder.

10. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Kinda along these lines but let me give you the situation here first.

My Burb ('87) already has a salvage (self assembled vehicle) title and it already shows the odometer has been exceeded. All this is true and can be verified through the State Patrol since they issued the new VIN for it. As is this is the third speedo in this truck so I don't even know what the real mileage is on it, and I would disclose all this to any buyer if I ever sold it (heaven help me if I do)

I'm working on building a new motor for it and would really like to have the odometer read zero when I stick the new one in.

Does anyone know how to set the old style odometers back to zero for something like this or would it just be easier to buy a new one for the truck?

11. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

Don't do it. It's against the law. Even if you are not trying to defraud someone, it's illegal. Just buy a new one.

US federal odometer law

A person may not -
    (1) advertise for sale, sell, use, install, or have installed,
    a device that makes an odometer of a motor vehicle register a
    mileage different from the mileage the vehicle was driven, as
    registered by the odometer within the designed tolerance of the
    manufacturer of the odometer;
    (2) disconnect, reset, alter, or have disconnected, reset, or
    altered, an odometer of a motor vehicle intending to change the
    mileage registered by the odometer;
    (3) with intent to defraud, operate a motor vehicle on a
    street, road, or highway if the person knows that the odometer of
    the vehicle is disconnected or not operating; or
    (4) conspire to violate this section or section 32704 or 32705
    of this title.

12. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

That would apply to a vehicle with a clean title, not one with a self assembled title. And since the odometer has already exceeded it's manufactured tolerance it wouldn't apply either.

The title states mileage exceeded so it doesn't matter what the odometer reads one way or another because it would be impossible to defraud anyone about the true mileage unless they're a complete idiot and can't read (see above post for details)

I already explained what this was for, a simple buy a new one instead because it will cause less headaches in the long run would have sufficed. Instead of being a smart ass about it!

The only part of this [ QUOTE ]
    A person may not -
    (1) advertise for sale, sell, use, install, or have installed,
    a device that makes an odometer of a motor vehicle register a
    mileage different from the mileage the vehicle was driven, as
    registered by the odometer within the designed tolerance of the
    manufacturer of the odometer;
    (2) disconnect, reset, alter, or have disconnected, reset, or
    altered, an odometer of a motor vehicle intending to change the
    mileage registered by the odometer;
    (3) with intent to defraud, operate a motor vehicle on a
    street, road, or highway if the person knows that the odometer of
    the vehicle is disconnected or not operating; or
    (4) conspire to violate this section or section 32704 or 32705
    of this title.

[/ QUOTE ] that is even remotely applicable would be section 2, but the milage "registered" by the odometer has exceeded it's maximum capabilities to record and that is "registered" on the title with the statement "mileage exceeded" so even that wouldn't apply to this vehicle!

I dealt with titles everyday for the tow business I worked for, my bosses wife works for the DMV and I know what I can "legally" do to this vehicle given it's title status! I checked with the State Patrol when it was issued a new VIN and even they said given it's title or registration I can legally reset the odometer in it, as long as the title says that what is shown on the odometer isn't the vehicles actual mileage!

So unless you can show in black and white where I, the DMV, and State Patrol are all wrong, just answer the question or don't reply!

13. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

You know, I am not a lawyer, but that's not how I read it.

A person may not -
    (2) disconnect, reset, alter, or have disconnected, reset, or altered, an odometer of a motor vehicle intending to change the mileage registered by the odometer;

Where is the exception for the salvage title or the odometer exceeding mechanical limits? It basically says don't tamper with the odometer, or go to jail.

14. Confedneck

[ QUOTE ]
    You know, I am not a lawyer, but that's not how I read it.

A person may not -
    (2) disconnect, reset, alter, or have disconnected, reset, or altered, an odometer of a motor vehicle intending to change the mileage registered by the odometer;

Where is the exception for the salvage title or the odometer exceeding mechanical limits? It basically says don't tamper with the odometer, or go to jail.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    (3) with intent to defraud

[/ QUOTE ]

there ya go.. with intent to defraud.. ie:if the title shows that the limits were exceeded, then you have no worries.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

There we go, we have a winner!

Someone who can actually think for themselves! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm just gonna get a new factory one and save myself the headache of possably breaking mine. Any way what I'm doing isn't illegal or unethical, just unorthadox.

Plus it's easier than arguing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Confedneck

hey now.. no personal attacks, perhaps he didnt read or catch the whole idea within the statements.. no biggie either way.. but like you said.. if the title reads "limits exceeded" then you have no worries about the mileage on your odometer..

17. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

its a felony here in california.. and most other states,,, and as a policeman I never had the inclination or time to figure out somebodys hard luck story.... so it was handcuffs, jail, bail, an impound, courtime, a puke slimy attorney, and a whole bunch of hassle for anybody messing with vehicle stuff....you would be surprised how a copper might find out... an accident even one thats not your fault would have them pouring over your car.. what if you get a sharp copper and not barney ...your screwed
    it aint worth the trouble.... check the appropriate box on the title.. exceeds limits.. or mileage unknown...
    my 2 cents
    cam

18. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They come apart pretty easily actually, but are pretty hard to "alter" without some of the pieces that would show it was tampered with not breaking, or have the numbers line up again correctly. You'll notice on many just rolling past 100,000 will mess up the alignment though.

In a pre-owned vehicle, I'd go to court in a heartbeat if I was accused of changing the odometer reading or removing a catalytic converter, (for instance) they'd have to prove I actually did it, and not a previous owner. Not saying go ahead and do it, but the legality of swapping in a new odometer with an incorrect reading can't be any different than rolling back your own. You may violate the letter of the law, but not the intent.

If you get pulled over and get caught for this, you dug your own hole. You obviously did something to warrant that much attention.

19. Confedneck

again, as previously stated, as long as your title reads "limits exceeded" you can swap out for a new odometer if you wish, as long as the intent is NOT to defraud someone when you sell it..hell one of these days id like to swap to one ton, a nice new 385" stroker, and rebuilt trans and t-case, and i WILL be swapping in a brand new, zero mile odometer at that point..

20. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Thats exactlly what I'm working on doing.

Some of these guys don't get it at all. The intent of the law was to keep people from changing the readings on odometers in order to sell them under false pretenses, or defraud insurance companies or the like. This would involve changing the reading on the odometer without making the changes to the title or registration.
    The law isn't written to keep us from changing the reading on a speedometer that has exceeded it's ability to accuratly record the mileage, so long as the title and registration reflect this.

Replacing a speedometer with an aftermarket unit is not illegal at all, so long as the title and registration reflect a mileage discrepency! IF you swap in a new unit and your title and registration show an actual mileage you have to go get your title changed to stay legal, it's that simple.

And all bets go out the window when the vehicle has something other than a clean (normal) title. From what I have seen, few of the trucks on here should have clear titles. When you start swaping motors, axles, trannys, cabs, beds . . . you are required in some (not all) states to get a Self Assembled Vehicle title, which would then show a mileage discrepency, so you would be in the clear swapping speedometers, rolling them back and the such.

The truck that I have has only a few parts still from the factory on it:

1) front clip
    2) frame
    3) front Axle
    4) one door (soon to be replaced because of rust)

everything else has been swapped in from about three other rigs, or salvage yard parts. Hence it has a self assembled vehicle title: the documentation for it shows where the cab came from; it's original VIN and final mileage reading, where the frame came from; it's original VIN and final mileage reading, and then shows reciepts for the other driveline and body components that were purchased and on it at the time of inspection!

Then the truck is issued a new VIN plate from the state (one on the frame, and one on the body (b pillar)) And a sticker on the windsheild showing it has a new VIN and the file number to get the info from the State Patrol in case I was ever pulled over. At that point the officer having seen the decal will know right off the bat that the mileage on my odometer means nothing!

The only way I could try to defraud a person would be if I tried to get a new clear title for the truck remove the state issued VINs and decal. If I did that then yes I would be violating the law, but that's not what we're talking about here now.

And given that it would be easier to just buy a new speedometer from someplace like LMC or Cheyenne and avoid breakage, I'm going to go that route. And then I can turn in the reciept for the new piece to the State Patrol to put in my file and I'm all legal with no worries! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif