Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll Bar / Cage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lance, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Anybody know of a good resource for an inexpensive, but good, roll bar/cage. 4x4 club by-laws requiring any open seating areas must have roll protection and I don't want to put the hard top back on quite yet. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. ok91blazer

ok91blazer Registered Member

go down to the local metal supply place, and get some round tubing, or hit up a junk yard one of my friends found a roll bar that was on a ford ranger and made it fit in his 85 blazer, with a little enginuess ness.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check out www.essentiallyoffroad.com
    They make a 6-point and an 8-point cage specifically for Blazers. I think the 6 is something like $350. And it is designed for use with a hard or soft top. They look really good too.
    Ash

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

S&W has em, Competition Engineering makes em. One inexpensive way to do it is to just get the Smittybuilt roll bar kit AND the interior tube kit. The int tube kit is just what it sounds like, it adds the tube that runs along the top of your doors and then down to the floor near the front of the door. It also includes a spreader bar that goes near the top of the windshield.

I am picking this setup up on friday, I'll have more details (and pics on my webshots!) then...

J

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

The Smittybuilt kits are NOT cheap. Would have been more than what I paid through S&W. $338 shipped to my door. Not need to weld it up.

Ken H.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I agree that the words Smittybilt and inexpensive do not belong together! Smittybilt is way over priced, but since I was suckered into buying the rollbar, I'll have to make do with what I got! If I had to do it over again I'd go with one of the 'cage kits from S&W or someplace....

8. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Try this place:
    http://www.swracecars.com/

[/ QUOTE ] </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The Smittybuilt kits are NOT cheap. Would have been more than what I paid through S&amp;W. $338 shipped to my door. Not need to weld it up.

[/ QUOTE ] I checked out the S &amp; W web-site, but all I could see was for inside the cab. Obviously I want (don't ever hope to need) one for my cab, but what I have to have for requirements is one over the rear seat area. Do they sell a pre-fabbed unit for this area? The price looks good on the cab cages, just not what I "need" right now.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ummm... i got my smitty stuff for under $338...

J

10. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I put the S@W cage in my truck. it covers drivers/passengers area only. the rear bars come down through were the rear seat should be. I moved them outward so the seat could go back in but it offers no protection for rear seat. I know that they could send you an extra main hoop and more tubes to tie in. I opted not to. I have several pics, but can't link you to them now. not home and on barrowed computer. I should be home in a couple of days. PM me if you want photo's. I paid 240.00 delivered. i have used several of there cages and never had a fitting problem.

11. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I'm ordering the smitty built cage next week, let me know about difficulty of installation. Do they need to be welded? I've heard stories gioing both ways. Do I need to order the cab and rear seperate? thanks

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The rollbar is a bolt-in deal. You will have to trim the kickers(bars that run back to the tailpan) though, to get it to fit right. The front cage kit is a weld-in deal, you will have to trim or grind it also.......