Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roll bar covers/pads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by arizona71, Aug 31, 2003.

1. arizona71

arizona71 Registered Member

Just put in Smitybuilt roll bar.Looking for padding and covers any ideas or pictures? Thanks

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Summit and Jegs both sell roll bar padding.

Kris

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I've been looking into it myself. I think it's something that it as important to safety in a roll as the cage itself, so the material needs to be able to absorb and distribute force to keep a head from splittling like a kasaba.

BCSI SFI 45.1 spec'd roll pads apparently do this pretty well. There is also a new pad with an FIA tag, which I guess is the latest and greatest.

I think I'm going with these (not cheap but I don't care): BCSI Rated Roll Padding

See also BCSI: BCSI roll pads

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been looking into it myself. I think it's something that it as important to safety in a roll as the cage itself, so the material needs to be able to absorb and distribute force to keep a head from splittling like a kasaba.

BCSI SFI 45.1 spec'd roll pads apparently do this pretty well. There is also a new pad with an FIA tag, which I guess is the latest and greatest.

I think I'm going with these (not cheap but I don't care): BCSI Rated Roll Padding

See also BCSI: BCSI roll pads

[/ QUOTE ]

Understand that stuf is to be used wth a helmet. It's design and durmeter is so that it doesn't split a helmet like a egg. bumping you knoggin getting in the back seat...yes it will soften the blow. Trusting that as the only prtection in a roll over.......it will help but only about 5% as much as a helmet would. I keep a bicycle helmet in the truckfor protection if I'm going to do something with a lot of danger. Not as good of protection as a full race or motorcycle helmet but a lot better then a raw mellon.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Grimmy, is there any other type of padding you know of that would be better for non-helmut use? Some rolls (highway, for example) would be unexpected, so no one would be wearing a helmut...

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, as others have pointed out, there's the real stuff, and then there's the cheap way. I got foam rubber padding designed for pipe insulation ... the nice thick rubbery stuff, not the all-plastic crap. Honestly, I'm not so concerned about protecting myself in case of mishap, but protecting my knees and head whilst I'm inside the truck ... solid steel hurts like a mofo when you bang your shins on it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I put 3/4" thick insulation on and then wrapped it with the rubbery pipewrap tape, think that was like 200, 250' worth. I can bang my head on it all day and only say "ouch" a bit /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Think I ended up using 40 feet for front and rear roll bars, including legs; I happen to know somebody in the insulation business, but I gather wholesale cost woulda been about $70.