Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'Roll bar for 1972 K5 Blazer?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by joryyroj, Feb 28, 2005.

1. joryyroj

joryyroj Registered Member

Does anyone know where to purchase a roll bar for a 1st generation blazer? I have found ones that attach to the floor behind the rear fender wells, near the tailgate, but dont they make any that attach directly to the fender wells? Do most people have these custom made? What is the approx price? Thanks in advance

2. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

I cant answer your question about the rollbar, but your 72' project looks suspicioously similar to mine. I just finished all the metal/rust work and am going to be ready to paint soon.What color are you thinking of painting it.Are you going to keep it original. It looks like its a dark green right now. mine is that lighter green I think its medium olive but I was wondering if you know the name of your color and if it was an original color for the blazers.Thanx Nick

3. joryyroj

joryyroj Registered Member

I think the color is an original olive green color. I have the paperwork on it let me see if I can find a paint code. I am still torn on color. I really like the look of a nice black paint job, but thats the problem, with this old of metal and myself doing the body work and paint, I will probably end up going with a bright red metallic.

4. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I belive that Smittybuilt makes a factory style roll bar. I have not seen any others. all the ones that I have seen like you want have been custom. I would think that you could have one made for about 3-400.

5. roechambeau

roechambeau Registered Member

i went with an S&W(outa PA.) 10 point family cage kit. great kit,comes pre bent,just trim to fit and weld. cost about $300.

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

You have a pic of how that ten point looks? I've got a 6 pt. in my '72 and it gives no rear seat protection above the shoulders and want something better before I put the kid in it. I'm not quite ready to fab one up myself, but I think I could weld one together.

7. roechambeau

roechambeau Registered Member

i am not sure how to post a picture but i modified the cage to extend it beyond the backseat behind the wheelwells. it ended up a 6 point cage because i still wanted to be able to get in an out the back area to starp in my 3 year old. it. but it tuned out real nice and it definately is better than nothing. if you want you can email me and i will send you a pic that way.