Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roll bar for '84 CK10?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Jan 8, 2005.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

My dad won't leave me alone about putting a roll bar in my truck. He said he watched two kids fly out of the back of one one time. It was in a head on collision, the top popped off and the kids weren't wearing belts.

So I'm wondering does anyone make a bolt in kit? What type of money are we looking at spending?

The fact that my cousin got trapped under a flipped blazer and had lots of internal organ and spine damage deosn't help matters.

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

it just so happens i have a bolt in roll bar out of my old 77 jimmy. ill sell it to you cheap. I live in hillsboro

Second of all.. I dont know what a roll bar has to do with kids flying out of the back of your truck, That sounds like a seatbelt problem...

3. Silver84k5

damn my bad, had a brainfart, I see you have a pickup, so i dunno if you want this roll bar or not.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i saw a kid get thrown out of a vehicle once too, but that doesnt mean that every vehicle on the road needs a roll cage.

5. WantedaDodge

What he's talking about is it getting hit, the top popping off and then it flipping. I've got a friend who roller her bronco. I think the roll bar probably had a good deal in keeping her from getting hurt.

6. Silver84k5

looks like you better get a dodge.

7. WantedaDodge

no, I'm not saying it's got anything to do with the make. The Trailduster I almost bought had the same problems and the same wheelbase.

What does it matter why I want a roll bar anyway? That's not really what this thread is about, is it?

8. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I do not know how hard of wheeling you do but the 84 has an intrigal roll bar built into the a pillars of the frame. These specs are found here in colorado k5 so you can show your dad. http://coloradok5.com/specs.shtml#1984 a friend of mine had a 84 and did a roll over in a mud race doing about 40 mph. the blazer's built-in rollbar saved his ass:blush:, he did have a five point harness on . Somehting to think about before you spend some major cash. by the way bolt ons will only break at the bolts and send flying steel bars around in your cab area. The safest way is to cut out the floor and weld the tubes directly to the frame.

9. WantedaDodge

hmm... The way I've always done bolt ins before is to put thick metal tabs under them and grade 8 hardware.

That's how the my friends bronco was done too and it seemed to perform well. The cab crumbled around the cage.