Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ROLL BAR HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tayv, Apr 27, 2004.

1. tayv

tayv Registered Member

I am installin the smitty built roll bar in my 76 Cheyenne right now. I bought the smitty built premade bolt together rear hoop and the weld together front. Does any one have pics of where the the front bars connect to the feet, adn where the front bars connect to the main bar. any visual aid will be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

um the spreaders should be sapced as wide apart as posible im thinkin the feet ? sorry but arent there instructions /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. tayv

tayv Registered Member

yeah, the instructions are real general and not model specific. I saw pics of of the feet and all the connections a long time ago. But I could not find it durring a search. Im not if the fron bar welds to the top of the feet, in the middle of the bend or at the bottom of on the flat

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The front down bar (dog leg) should be almost touching the dash. The passenger side should be over far enough to clear the glove box. Check for window crank clearence befor you get it all ready for final welding. The front foot pads go over the body mount supports and up the first firewall bend about 1.5". The rear foot pads get centered on the rear hoop and place the hoop as close to the topper/cab seam (check to make sure you can get to the topper bolts). The dog legs connect to the rear hoop just below the bend (almost touching the cab roof) The winshield bar should go as close to the winshield as possible but not totally on the bend. I would recomend putting gussets at the winshield bar connections and the dogleg rear hoop connection. I hope this helps. Sorry I don't have any pictures for you.

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

"Put your right leg in, put your right leg out, put your right leg in, and shake it all about........" /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I just installed mine about three weeks ago (front and rear) /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifI installed the rear just like it said in the destructions, then had to look at the front set up, after much head scratching and measuring, I decided to cut off 2 inches off each end of the down tubes, then set the feet in place on the floor of the truckstood the bars in place, then I took a small strip of wood about a 1/4 inch thick between the dash and the bar, ( I had to trim alittle off to get it to fit just right) and then spot weld on the feet, then up top at the other end, then cut down the spanner bar to fit and spot weld it in also. then weld like the wildman that you are, clean and paintthen drill and bolt. mine turned out "TATA'S and BEER" /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gifPS don't forget to use a level and a carpenters square.
    place the feet in their designated place, as close to the outside wall as possible then follow above destructions.

7. tayv

tayv Registered Member

Thank you for your help. Where the Front Down bars weld to the feet, Do the mount flat to the floor of the truck? or to the inclining part of the feet? And from what I am hearing I place them as close to the outside of the feet as possibble. and the feet go as far to the outside of the body as well? the tubes connecting to the rear bar will be at or almost at the ceiling when it is all done yeah? And I should expect to be able to still use my glove box?
    So lemme see if I have this right.

1 Mount rear hoop
    2. Mount front feet
    3 make appropriate cuts in front cage arms
    4 spot weld front Arms in place to make sure that they fit
    5 spot weld center peice in front cage
    6 everything fits, then weld like a mad man?
    Then I roll truck to test durrabiltiy?

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Ya that sounds about right. You can trim the aluminum entry plates a little to move the foot plate over more. The front bars can land on the bend in the floor but I like them as strait up and down as possible (does make getting in and out more of a pain though). I don't know exactly how the kit bolts in but try to use plates and not just washers cause even big fender washers are just kidding yourself.

9. tayv

tayv Registered Member

Thanks alot, check out that old post I just put up and see if that looks right to you. If so I will use it for a diagram to install mine tomorrow

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

This is actually a 1st gen floor design but almost the same. [​IMG]
    Yep that is about how they go. Make sure you can get a bolt in all 4 or 6 holes on each foot. And as mentioed befor crank the windows, check the gauges (clock doesn't matter) and open the glove box.

11. Desert Rat

Hey, I recognize that cage. In fact, I will be putting it up for sale shortly. Already have an offer from somebody here, but they haven't gotten back to me in a while so it will be going in the F/S section soon, along with an STC soft top that is new.

12. tayv

tayv Registered Member

How much is your soft top? and will it fit on a second gen with no roof? Just trying to plan for this winter!!

13. Desert Rat

I'm selling it for $400. It is the STC Fasttrac top seen here: http://specialtytopco.com/ The guy I bought one of my 74's from had just bought it and it is basically brand new. It fits 73-75's. I will be listing it within a week or two.

14. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I welded mine on 1/3 of the bend on the front feet, the biggest part on the flat, if that makes any sense??.
    ??? let me know /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif