Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roll bar mount

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris_T, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I have a 72 Blazer with the Smittybuilt rollbar kit. The bar mounts to the floor and has provisions to be bolted to the bedsides as well. The front hoop is about a 1/2" too low for both the side tabs and the rear supports. I have a roll of 1/2" thick rubber from McCoy bros, similar in density to heavy duty mudflaps. In the short term until I can get a full cage welded up, can I use this to raise my bar 1/2" and isolate some of the vibrations?

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't see why not.
    I put 1/4" rubber under all my mounting points to stop vibration and squeek.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/picsofryansblazer.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&amp;PhotoID=95>http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/picsofryansblazer.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&amp;PhotoID=95</a>

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

It wouldn't exactly be safe in a rollover because it'd allow a lot of shear movement and make it a lot easier to break the bolts. This is why they tell you not to bolt the bar down on top of carpet or insulation. Also remember that if you have the bolts pretty snug on the foot, they're going to be transmitting those vibrations and noises right from the floor to the foot anyhow.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hmmmmmmm.
    I've been meaning to re-do my whole rollcage setup, and tie it into the frame. Someday I get around to that, after I replace the body mounts.
    What steve chin says makes a lot of sense. Makes me want to re-do that the sooner the better now.