Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roll bar or roll cage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tmaxxer9, Mar 3, 2003.

1. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

Ok, i have a 75 k5 blazer and i was wondering if it would be better to put in a roll cage or a roll bar. Now it does have the stock one in it, but I want to put in something in the back to help protect my friends and family from a roll over when i take them out wheeling. I mean i ain't planning to roll it, but you just never know. you experts know how us teenagers drive. better safe then sorry. So what would be easier to install a cage or bar?? Just keep in mind that it will have to work with the top as well.

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

A cage would be better if you want it to actually hold its shape in a rollover. If you can't afford one (IMO we can't afford NOT to have a cage /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) another rollbar would be better than nothing eh /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif? Check out: www.echobit.com/cgi-bin/site/products.cgi?product=1 his prices are the best I've seen and these cages probably fit our trucks better than any other companies kits being that these are built by a /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif owner! The one pictured will not fit your '75, but he can make one that will. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

what would be the best way to insatll it drill holes through the floor and weld it to the frame or bolt it to the floor??

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    A cage would be better if you want it to actually hold its shape in a rollover. If you can't afford one (IMO we can't afford NOT to have a cage /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) another rollbar would be better than nothing eh /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif? Check out: www.echobit.com/cgi-bin/site/products.cgi?product=1 his prices are the best I've seen and these cages probably fit our trucks better than any other companies kits being that these are built by a /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif owner! The one pictured will not fit your '75, but he can make one that will. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that one pictured will fit his 75. That is the one that is in my 74 right now. It's mainly floor differences between the years. A cut here, a cut there and whalla.

I'm got some semi-installed pics of the cage HERE

Hope this helps.

5. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

now does that one go all the way into the cab, because i don't want that. all i want is something to help keep the @$$ end off the ground if i should happen to roll it. maybe i will just build a bar in stead. but does it get bolted to the floor or welded to the frame?

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

It can either be welded to the floor, or bolted. The choice is really up to the owner.

Yes it goes all the way up to the windshield and dash. It fully protects the driver, and all passengers.

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

If you have a '75 you need some protection up front also. Get a full cage and bolt it in...no need to go to the frame for average wheelin'.

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

It's too bad you live so far away. It sounds like your after the set of bars we removed from Waxers truck to install the cage. They are sitting here in my garage looking for a home.

9. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

If you where ever to roll over you will want the front roll bars as well just to keep the winsheild (sp) off of you cuase it will fold in on you.
    I should put up a pic of denver75k5's Blazer when he laid over his truck when he did it his truck hit a tree and it folded the winshield frame on to him. He was very lucky the it wasn't worse than what it was.

Eric

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

do you want to be on your way rolling down a hill think to yourself as the world goes into washing machine mode "damn, i wish i had coughed up the extra coin to get a cage instead of a bar?"

I didn't so I went cage.

11. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you have a '75 you need some protection up front also. Get a full cage and bolt it in...no need to go to the frame for average wheelin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now if you knew the 75, then you would know that it already has a bar right behind the 2 front seats. so there for elimanating the need for a cage. if my calculations are corect, if i had a bar exactly the same size, but only in the rear of the truck and rolled it to the point that it stayed upside down, then the windshield frame would not collapse all that much.

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The problem is that they don't balance flat when they hit that bar, they fall to the weight of the engine and collaps the front clip. If you fall on flat ground, you'll probably be all right.. its the boulder you roll over that will get you.

13. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

this is true i never thought of that. boy am i an idiot. feel free to call me an idiot for a few days.

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I often think so hard about my trucks design and how to impove it that its easy to overlook the obvious when tackling a complex problem. I use this board as a level check all the time, specificly so people can double check my thought process and get me back on track so I'm far from being able to call anyone stupid. I'm just happy to give it back once in a while! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Most people really don't need a cage for the amount of wheeling they do and the stock roll bar is more than enough, some people hardly ever put their trucks in 4wd. I chose a cage because I'm the guy out there looking for trouble to crawl into (or onto) and may have my family in there to boot.

15. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

yea the more i think of it, a cage might not be all that bad of an idea. i just don't like the way it looks going down the road. but oh well. whatis the best material to make one out of.

16. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    and may have my family in there to boot

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the EXACT reason I'll be getting a cage from Mike- as most of you know- my truck doesnt go off-road- so the need for a cage for me- is protection of the little angel's heads that sit in the back seat. If for some unforseen reason my truck shall end up going over- I know for certain that they will be protected- I have read/searched for information on this board and on other sites- to know that a full cage is the way to go. I've also researched the other manufacturer options- and found the "customer service" I've already received from Mike has been 1 of the deciding factors in going with his cage. There are some things in my life I can't replace...so spending the $$ on the cage will be MORE than worth it.

Brandy

17. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

.120 Wall mild steel tubing is great for cages /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thats a very debatable subject. No less than 1.5" 120 wall but everything above that adds a lot of weight with a full cage and can make an already lifted truck too top heavy. You'll have to balance out how much coverage you want with how much weight your willing to gain (or cut off the truck to make up the difference). A loaded blazer with nothing removed (including the top), 6" soft suspension lift, 1" body lift, full tank of gas, trail gear and 5 passengers on 38" tires at the stock wheel offset with a 2.5" thick 12 point cage would have a hard time keeping the wheels down on off camber climbs. The same truck reduced to 4" of suspension lift, no body lift and 33's would do well and could go much faster on the same hill. I run 38's with 4" of lift, 57" rear springs on a shackle flip with a 7 point 1.5" cage and I can feel it when I'm loaded and off camber! Drop the top and doors and its much better. It's a trade-off.

19. yotapunk

yotapunk Registered Member

I know that in SCORE and MDR and other desert racing sanctioning bodies that for a full size truck in general you need 1 3/4" tubing no less then .120 wall.

Just thought I would throw that into this conversation. On my race truck I use 1.5" .120 wall chrommoly.