Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll bar question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Jan 16, 2001.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I took my roll bar out of my blazer when i had the factory top off. Will i be able to get it back in without taking off the top.
    Also another question. Should i be concerned about a roll over with a full fiberglas top and no roll bar or is the top strong enough to withstand the roll over. Just worred about having the kid in the backseat with no roll bar.

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't know if it can be re-installed with the top in place. I've never removed mine. However, I wouldn't trust my life to the fiberglass top remaining in one piece in the event of a rollover! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I've got one too and sure makes taking the top off a pain because I have to remove the side trim panels. I think you can fit it in there, you mave have to lean it at angle but it should work. I wouldnt worry about the back too much because there is another roll bar. Its hidden in the back of the cab near where the hardtop mounts. It should protect anyone near it but as long as no one is near the far end they'll be OK.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

He has a 75, so there is no integrated roll bar behind the front seats, those are only on 76-91 K5's [​IMG]

[​IMG]<pre>It's not broken, it's just being maintained</pre>

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Not sure whether or not you can put it back in with the top on. But I woudn't count on that top to protect you in a serious rollover. However, I did see recently a case where the hard top stayed together when a Blazer rolled on the freeway. A Blazer lost his right rear wheel (good ol' c-clip 10 bolt axles!), the truck must have lost control and he flipped over...when I got to the scene as I was driving down the freeway, I saw that he had skidded upside down on the roof for about 500 yards! The top was all there, looked fine...so maybe they are somewhat strong. And that other post about there being a hidden rollbar is correct. But I still like having my roll cage!!!

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Ahh IC, that does change things quite a bit. I wouldn't be to trusting of it in that case. Think about it man, everything above your head is fiberglass. If you want extreme safety out in a cage then, you're kinda stuck

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

7. angelglo

angelglo 1/2 ton status

i recently took of my roll bar with the top on. i pulled it out through the fron drive's door. i dont recommend this cuz it took a long time to wiggle it out and plus i scratched up a few interior parts. luckily i was junking that 75. it was impossible for me to take it out through the rear because of the brace that bolts onto the wheelwell. if i ever take the roll bar out again, i will definitely remove the top. i dont know if anyone else did any better than me in accomplishing this. if you do try it, good luck. as for the safety of the fiberglass top on a roll over, DO NOT DO IT. especially if you are driving your kid around. that is why they put a roll bar in there as standard equipment. the fiberglass will splinter. im sure there are some people out there that have got lucky and only scratched their top but it is not worth gambling your kids life. trust me, i deal with alot of accidents and the fatalities are not a pretty sight when it could have been avoided.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yes you can get it in and out with the top on. I went through the passenger door. takes some wigling to do
    Now I wouldn't trust the top and for that matter the factory hoop (although better than nothing) to protect rear seat passengers. I just added front and rear hoops to my factory bar for that very reason.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>