Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roll bar

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drchan, Sep 20, 2002.

1. drchan

drchan Registered Member

i,m going to make my 78 full convert and i'm going to use a full roll cage. a guy was wanting to sell me a roll bar from a 2nd gen. the guy was talking like this original roll bar was really special. would it be wise to buy this bar and connect the dash hoop from smittybilt to it or just get the the whole smittybilt cage? is there anything special about the original roll bars?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You have to do something. The roof provides a lot of suport. A front cage is going to have to be installed with a brace to the a-piller. List of people off the top of my head that have done this conversion is.
    YeildToMe
    Laktex
    Muddin
    There are a few others.
    Do a search for full convertable conversion. Or vairations of that and you should pull up a good deal of info.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

The original roll bar is just that, a bar. No cage or anything unless he added to it. I'd hold out and get a cage, or get that bar and the smittybuilt cage kit. Or else go full on custom with a full family style cage. I've got pics on my webshots of how mine is tied into the winshiled header. The reason for this is that the early models came with a lot of bracing underneath called rocker boxes. Our trucks dont have this, so something has to be done. A cage tied in works very well and is something that's needed anyway. I'll have more pics up thursday of how I tied mine in and cut the top. Forgot the camera last week.

Bryan