Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll Bar

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Truckfan2, Sep 26, 2000.

1. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

Ok... seeing as how I don't have any front seatbelts, I want a good roll bar. I want one that the two front 5-point harnesses and the two rear shoulder belts can tie into. I wanted the individual 5 pnt. harness which means that I need a cross bar behind the 2 front seats which would hinder the enterance of rear passengers... I guess what I'm asking is how would go about building this thing... any design ideas?

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00
    "(2H) Where's all the mud?.(4H)...(4L)..(4H)... oh crap"

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah I'm tossing around the same issue plus a little more. My front seats fully recline and I have slept in my truck a few times when the weather was to bad or cold to tent it. One idea I came up with was run the bar vertical. that would make getting into the back possible but still difficult but I still couldn't recline. The other idea was to put them at an angle from the up right to the top bar. It would hit the side bar about 10 inches up on mine if your truck is 78 or new er it would be about 18 inches. Then hit near the center at the top so that it will give a correct level point to hook the belt. Now the guy that will be doing mine runs a 1x3 bar accross the floor so the vertical would not be a problem on mine (75 so no rear fot well). Be a head banger but still do able. My kid usualy climbs over the seat and center console so that so far makes the most sence to me.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Went to Art Morrison today (www.artmorrison.com) in person in Seattle (up there on business) and talked to them. Check them out! They can custom build you one ANY way you want it, and the prices are reasonable. Not sure about shipping to where you live, but they said they can do it in pieces and have you weld it in. Got a mock up sheet from him to do the custom measurements in my rig.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

4. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I have a full rollcage in my 85 it has a cross member behind the seats. I am using five point harnesses. I have a picture of the cage I can send just give me an email address.

Steve Frisbie
    85 m1009

5. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

6. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Hey BlazzinOR, Can ArtMorrison build the cage without seeing your rig? How would he like the plans drawn up? Does he already have the measurements of K5's?

BLAZE IT UP!!!

7. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

can u send me a picture also, nyyef@yahoo.com
    thanx

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

8. TexasK5er

TexasK5er Registered Member

9. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

could you also send me some pics at st01@sjnma.org
    Thanks

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00
    "(2H) Where's all the mud?.(4H)...(4L)..(4H)... oh crap"

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I won't be running my front seatbelts off the rollcage (no plans yet anyway [​IMG]) but I would imagine that it would still help strengthen the roll cage if you made the horizontal rear bar removeable with a couple of pull pins like a receiver hitch uses. I would guess that the seat belts could still attach to it. You could just pull the two pins and remove the bar to allow access to the rear seat and then just pop the pins back in and buckle up!

Thia should add some strength to the cage but still allow accessability to the rear seat. I may try this when I build a cage for mine.

Good Luck and keep us posted on how you make out.

Brian
    89KBlazer

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

12. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I'm planning this exact setup for my cage. I'm going to use flanges on the ends of the cross bar with a few grade 8 bolts in each one. It will definately make the cage a lot stronger and I'll be able to remove it for day to day driving. Since I don't let anyone ride in the back when I'm wheeling, I'm not worried about access to the rear seat being blocked.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

13. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Yes, you can do it by mail. Go to his website http://www.artmorrison.com and get their phone number, call up Keith and ask for the "mock up" drawing page to be sent to you. You fill out the measurements you want and send it to them for a CAD drawing to be made, then they fax or send it to you for approval. Great guys to work with. My buddy got one made for his 72 Chevelle Pro Street and is very happy with the quality and fit.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

15. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I sent out the pictures. Someone let me know if they got them.

Steve Frisbie
    85 m1009

16. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

17. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I got the pics this time, thanks. The cage looks great. I was thinking of painting my truck yellow too, now I wish I did. I've got a couple questions about the cage now... How was the cage installed through the dash, did they take out the windshield? When the top tubes were welded, how did they get at the tops of the joints? I've got a pretty small tig torch but I'm still not sure if there's enough room to work.

Thanks again for the pics, I hope my k5 looks that good one of these days.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

18. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I had the windshield out to install the cage. I ran the driver's side upright through the speaker hole and made a matching hole on the passenger side. Running it through the dash served two purposes: one I don't hit the cage with my legs and two it runs straight down to the body mount location without any bends ie more strength. The horizontal bar was installed through the instrument cluster opening. The entire cage was tig welded in place and almost requires standing on your head to get the top side. My cage was designed and installed by a friend that builds stock and sprint car chassis. It was designed mainly for strength and safety. Sooner or later I'll find out how it holds up.

Steve Frisbie
    85 m1009

19. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

20. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

steve

if you can send me some of the pics too? jwileywilliamson@yahoo.com

thanks

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!