Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll Bar

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mike's '84, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Mike's '84

Mike's '84 Registered Member

My son and I were out yardin' yesterday and came across this single tube roll bar. I think it was made from 3 inch tube stock. All padded up for 30 dollars. Shoud I jump on it?? It was in a Bronco but it looked like it would fit right in.

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

thats a tough call, i would never use a used or home made roll bar, especially if i didnt know the history of it, like who welded it, what type of material, and is it pro? smitty built makes a really reasonable bolt/weld in cage for under 350, and i think you can get the rear hoop for 179. its new, its professional and more than that it will be safe if properly installed with frame tie ins and profesioanal welds.

3. Mike's '84

Mike's '84 Registered Member

Thanks for the input...It looked like the real deal. I guess I'd have to peel back the padding at all the joints and inspect the welding. I am sure I could spot a shabby welding job. I never thought about weather or not it ever been stressed or used for what it was intended. The Bronco was not rolled.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

welds may look good but may not be. Only way to know how good they truly are is to get them xrayed. Thats why professional welds and companies are worth the money because those people had many welds xrayed and are certified that they can weld right. Personally I am going to put a roll bar in my next rig I think and I will weld it myself. I am not a professional welder but I am confident enough in my skills that I feel fine doing it.