Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roll bar

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jackedk5, Sep 11, 2003.

1. jackedk5

jackedk5 Newbie

im looking for a roll bar for my '88 k5 if anyone knows of a site where i can find one. it doesnt have to be for safety. mainly im looking for one just for looks. thx

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it doesnt have to be for safety. mainly im looking for one just for looks.

[/ QUOTE ] That statement bothers me....................... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Try here . And here.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

welcome to Ck5 we are totally about aesthetic only things here. I got an extra set 20 chromed shocks and traction bars if you need them. Need funds so I can get chromed leaf springs. Alright that was a mean introduction to CK5 but seriouslly why not go the extra few yards and make a real roll bar that will actually like be safe? Even if its just a show truck I hate seeing nonpractical things like that. First thing I would do upon seeing a show K5 with a roll bar would be look under it to see if its tied to the frame and real.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    welcome to Ck5 we are totally about aesthetic only things here. I got an extra set 20 chromed shocks and traction bars if you need them. Need funds so I can get chromed leaf springs. Alright that was a mean introduction to CK5 but seriouslly why not go the extra few yards and make a real roll bar that will actually like be safe? Even if its just a show truck I hate seeing nonpractical things like that. First thing I would do upon seeing a show K5 with a roll bar would be look under it to see if its tied to the frame and real.

[/ QUOTE ]

while you're at it get yourself a 14BFF and D60 up front. Sure you're never gonna need em, but if you're going for looks why just simulate 8 lugs with a hubcap when you can have the real thing and pay more.

OK maybe that was a mean retort but honestly. If the woman isn't gonna off road and certainly isn't planning on rolling around on the rocks why should she pay substantially more for a roll bar as opposed to a show bar? There is nothing wrong with a pretty K5 that will never see rocks and mud but looks fine. It's not to my taste but everyone is different.

Edited to correct gender reference /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ignore the pirate4x4.com wanna-be responses. You might try finding yourself a smittybuilt roll bar for your rig. They are cheap, easy to install and can be had at 4wpw or any other 4x4 dealer that carries smitty stuff. As an added bonus, if you ever do decide to use the thing for protection, it shouldnt require to much in the way of bracing/gusseting to make it entirely serviceable. hope it helps,

j

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

this was sort of my point. It wouldn't take much to make it functional. Might as well take the little detail step and do it.

7. jekbrown

personally I agree with you... but if someone wants the show bar and just wants their rig to be bling bling, thats fine too. Now if he asked about lowering his fullsize... then there'd be trouble! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't mind lowering a full size 2WD all that much but when I found the lowering kits for my 1995 3/4 ton 4x4 I flipped!

9. jekbrown

meh, lowering a fullsize rig is a crime against humanity! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

any1 who owns such a beast should have their rig confiscated so it can be given to an individual who knows what a fullsize rig is for! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

10. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

I have a smittybilt bar in my 87 K5 and the main bar actualy bolted thru the mid frame body mounts. Keep in mind tho, that the K5's have an integral roll bar built into the roof supports. The smittybilt bar alone will not do much in th event of a rollover. I am currently working on adding a cab cage and welding that into it.

11. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Amanda,

I have a black light bar (I call it a light bar because it is bolted together in sections) that I am taking out of my '72 in order to put in a real roll bar. If you are going to drive around w/ the top off, it is very good advice to get a real roll bar. More people are killed in roll overs on the road by other jackass drivers than off the road. I speak from personal experience.

This bar would be better than nothing and is yours for free if you want it with one condition. Before you may have it, you need to become a paying member of CK5. A small price to pay that actually pays you back w/better info and support from this site.

This is the best resource in the world for info on your '71. As you have already seen, you will need to wade through disagreements and opinions in order to gain the knowledge that you seek, but there is no better place to gain this knowledge than right here......warts and all.

If you are interested in the bar, let me know.

PS I live in Houston, TX for shipping considerations. It does break down into pieces, so should not cost too much to ship. If you are close, I may even be able to handle the freight to help get you started w/ your Blazer.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

This bar would be better than nothing and is yours for free if you want it with one condition. Before you may have it, you need to become a paying member of CK5.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifYou da man, mastercraftkpk /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

(I assume that your real name is not Kaiser Sosa... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif)

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Amanda,

I have a black light bar (I call it a light bar because it is bolted together in sections) that I am taking out of my '72 in order to put in a real roll bar. If you are going to drive around w/ the top off, it is very good advice to get a real roll bar. More people are killed in roll overs on the road by other jackass drivers than off the road. I speak from personal experience.

This bar would be better than nothing and is yours for free if you want it with one condition. Before you may have it, you need to become a paying member of CK5. A small price to pay that actually pays you back w/better info and support from this site.

This is the best resource in the world for info on your '71. As you have already seen, you will need to wade through disagreements and opinions in order to gain the knowledge that you seek, but there is no better place to gain this knowledge than right here......warts and all.

If you are interested in the bar, let me know.

PS I live in Houston, TX for shipping considerations. It does break down into pieces, so should not cost too much to ship. If you are close, I may even be able to handle the freight to help get you started w/ your Blazer.

[/ QUOTE ]

she has an 88 K5 not a '71. Since your bar is out of a first gen will it fit a second gen? Also second gen K5s do not have the full removable top. There is rollover protection there even with the top off.

14. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

I would not call what the open ended cab provides "protection" in a roll over when compared to a real roll bar.

This is a generic bar, so it will fit in any truck.