Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll bars/cages vs. "Interior tube bars"

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Marc72, May 19, 2002.

1. Marc72

Marc72 Registered Member

Roll bars/cages vs. \"Interior tube bars\"

First, let me say that although I don't know enough to post respond that often, I absolutely love this board - it's incredibly helpful!

Now, I've been looking into getting a roll bar so I can feel a little safer - especially with the top off. I've seen all the posts recommending Smittybilt and a few other companies so I've been doing some research. Now, SB seems to make a product called an "interior tube bar" which bolts into place with no welding - is this really capable of withstanding a roll? I know that the safest way is to have a custom cage built but I don't want to spend the $$ and I'd like it to look as stock as possible. BUT, I don't want to spend money on something that is useless.

So, is "interior tube bar" just leagalese for "won't withstand a roll but it looks real nice?"

Thanks,
    Marc

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Roll bars/cages vs. \"Interior tube bars\"

Interior tube bar is the new name for what they called a roll bar 20 years ago. It should be ok for a slow speed flop. If you go over at speed you better have a cage that looks like a Nascar cage with the proper padding and seats and at least a 5 point harnes. And all of that may not be enough.

3. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You may want to check out the S & W roll cage. It also bolts down. It comes as a kit, but the main hoop is one piece. So if you don't want the front tubes, then just don't install them. You'll probably have to weld in at least a few pieces. The price is fairly reasonable.

I may be wrong, but I don't think SmittyBuilt meets any NHRA, IHRA & NMCA requirements. S&W claims to exceed these requirements. Is this important...I don't know? Compared to Smittybuilt, it seems S&W may be more experienced/focused on making a functional (protection) roll bar.

4. Marc72

Marc72 Registered Member

Great - thanks for the clarification. I think I'll check out the S&W cage and maybe do it without the front tubes.

Thanks a lot!

5. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

I ordered a Smittybilt roll bar- waited 3 months for it. When It arrived, I set it up in the bed of the Jimmy, but the dimensions weren't exactly right. To align the rear legs with the bedsides, an "adjustment" would be necessary requiring bending of the rear legs, which were powder coated. I returned the bar to the local 4wd store and the guy said "We always have to "tweak" the bodies to get the bars to fit properly". Right...

IMHO, un pedazo de mierda...
    JB

6. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Does S&W have a web site? This cage interests me. Thanks.

Evan

7. Marc72

Marc72 Registered Member

8. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

the smitty bars that i have run into are .095? tube. The tube I had on the front of my toyota withheld a decent head on wreck but the bracketry bent. With all cages/rollbars there is defently legalese. Ask rockstomper /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The feet of the cage must have solid mounts. If they just bolt to the floor of the truck, and the floor is swiss cheese, do you really expect the flor to hold up in a highway roll? If you tie into at least body mounts if not sandwitch plates then it will hold up somewhat. I plan on either building my own out of .125 or greater or at least putting plates and footers to the frame under the cage feet. If this makes no sence then look into fourwheelers (or petersons?) dodge powerwagon that they did a cage in last month.