Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll Bars

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ptangler, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Ptangler

Ptangler Registered Member

I just bought a 72 Jimmy. It has no roll bar. I have not picked up the rubber floor mat to see if there was once one mounted. I was wondering if they where stock or an option. Also where can I find one. The fiberglass top is in good shape but I dont think it will support the weight of the truck.

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if the roll bar was an option or standard. I know that factory bars can be hard to find. Smittybilt makes an aftermarket bar for the Blazer that is passable for light street duty, but it'd never pass an SCCA inspection.

3. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I believe the bars were an option. Ditto on the smittybilt. you might want to look at getting one fabbed locally,

4. Ptangler

Ptangler Registered Member

Do you know where I can get the specs of the factory bar?

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

There were at least two different factory roll bars. One of them is a goofy dual hoop arrangement (that's what's in my Blazer), and the other was a more traditional design. Neither was really very worhty of being called a "roll bar." I believe that Bill O'Grady at Vintage Chevy has at least one factory bar of the single hoop type.

6. NuBombs72K5

NuBombs72K5 1/2 ton status

I would like to see the specs too. If anyone has had one made, how much did it cost. I know it will vary, but just to get an idea.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This cage was made by a dude I found in the Yellow pages under Pipe Bending. He is in SanJose Cal. SanJose PipeBending is the name of the place. He only makes cages on the side. I took a Friday off work and helped him make it by holding the pieces and telling him what I wanted. This cage is of the 'Halo' style. OH ya and he charge me 300 bucks back in 95. If want more pics go here:
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

8. NuBombs72K5

NuBombs72K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks Burt. That looks like what i want. Is it welded to the body or through to the frame? I'll have to look for someone here it atlanta who can do as well. Nice blazer. Thanks again!

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

It is welded to mounting plates then bolted to the floor. The center hoop that goes right behind the seats to the floor is bolted to the floor's cross member under the body so that is the strongest mounting. I plan on changing it around to an 8 point and more gusset work.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>