Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll Bars?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve88, Mar 6, 2000.

1. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Would like to take the top off (on occation) this summer but the wife says NO WAY without a roll bar.

So what's the scoop on getting one? Who's got the best easiest to self-install? Where does it anchor to - the body or frame? I assume you have to install it with the top already off? Bolt-up would be great. Where to get pads? Any other helpful tips would be great...

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

My 74 K5 came with a rollbar stock. It bolts up just like the top bolts up. It has anchored nuts.

3. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Check this out. Tell her about the integrated roll cage chassis cab that your BLAZER came from the factory with. I dont know about your '88, but My '79 had the factory option single roll bar in the rear. They look cool. A full roll cage will be great, but expensive.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

With your '88, the people in the front seats shouldn't really be affected by removing the top. The metal front portion of the cab is the structural support in case of a rollover (just like a pickup). Now, people in the rear seats are a different story. A rollcage is never a bad idea, but I don't think the safety of the front seat passengers is greatly reduced by removing the fiberglass top.

5. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

It's our 2 kids in the back that is the cause for the wife's concern. I (we) knew about the driver/passenger being protected by the built in rollbar.

Looked at the Smittybuilt site but couldn't figure out which one ColoradoK5's project rig used. Steve?

Also would the Smittybuilt one really do anything, or is it mostly all show and no "real" rollover protection. Just looking for the same kind (I guess) as projectK5 in the main page link.

6. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

The only really important factor is that the roll cage has to connect to the frame at all points, otherwise its useless. This is also the part that makes it complicated and expensive. But Im sure those papooses are worth it.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

7. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Hey DangerB, I replied to your Chevy truck post for that roll bar you have. Would it fit in a Blazer? Or only a pickup? Would it bolt into the frame?

8. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

It would fit, with a couple mods. The rear point was meant to go to the bed, it would have to be cut to go to the rear fender well instead. And then a bracket on the bottom to connect to the frame. So in reality it would only connect to the frame at 2 points unless more mods were done...oops
    I dont know if I want your kids safety in my hands...........That factory option roll bar(rear) is a very good idea. Cheap, easy, functional. See if you can find one at a junkyard.

DangerBrett[​IMG]

9. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Quite simply, if the bar you are looking bolts to the body, its a light bar, if it bolts to the chassis, its a roll bar. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

10. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

I think I'll check into DangerB's factory suggestion. Sure don't need or want a pretty light bar!

Off to the bone yard this weekend! Just curious - what years did they offer a factory roll bar option?

11. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I'd suspect that any factory roll bars must be on the first generations. If not, than you truck is already equiped with the factory "halo" which is over your head when sitting in the truck. Its the thicker part between the think sheetmetal roof & the fiberglass top.

If I remember correctly, its good for 1 use (1 time over) any thing more than that, your pushing you luck.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

12. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Have you looked into the smittybilt website?
    they have several styles of roll cages

<font color=red>Hunker Down

[​IMG]

13. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

The two blazers that I have seen with roll bars look like they are using the same roll bar as a pickup. At least as far as position goes. I am concerned also about my child in the rear seat. The bars that I have seen look like they are too far forward to protect the rear seat.

Does anyone make a roll bar/cage that includes a family bar/hoop behind the rear seat?

Kent

1989 K5

14. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I think what's most important here is to drive safely. Do you think that your hard top has been protecting you a lot all this time? I think it's basically the same protection with or without the top. The difference is that you don't notice the danger.

If you are driving carefully you have less chances of flipping over, which is what you want that rollbar for. And don't think that having a rollbar will be much safer anyway. So, for your kids safety, just drive carefully [​IMG].

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

15. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Just one man's opinion.........my 79 had the factory rear roll bar. Sold it as fast as I could, the first time I took the top off, stepped back a ways and looked at it, I almost laughed my rear end off......No offense intended, but not only did I not like the look, I really couldn't see how that single tube could protect anything. All it was good for was taking up space in the rear. Not chassis mounted, not worth keeping. Sold it........

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I wouldn't bet saving a twinky with the fiberglass top! it gets hit on a corner it's going to fold and rip free. Point that out to the lady. The lip where it attaches to the body is only an 1/8 inch think. It purpose is to keep the rain out not much more.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

17. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

with kids in the car, i would think that driving safely is a natural tendency. and although i agree with the opinion that the fiberglass top isn't the best protection, a roll bar DOES offer some protection. i don't think the guy is going to climb hang-glider hill once the rollbar is on, he just wants an added measure of security. if the idiot in the honda passport cuts him off, if a chain reaction on the highway involves him, if a damn wheelbarrow falls out of the sky, a roll bar would offer one more point of impact before the soft noggins of the little ones. hopefully, instead of the soft noggins.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

18. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

O.k. I read all the below posts and here is my .02cents worth. Your kids are worth protecting. I have 2 boys and they have wheeled with me, but in the cab. Never had the back seat in the old Girl. If you want tru protection, you are going to have to have a full cage custom made. Not cheap by any means, unless you have friends with a true radius bender [​IMG] (I got one, lucky I am ) I have built one hoop, that is right under my factory roof HALO, it is tied to the body by 1/4" thick 5x5 inch plates. Welded to a good solid not rusted floor. Then it is attached with 4 small pieces of plate that are cut to fit between the hoop and the roof/sides of the cab. They are about 3 inches long each and welded in place. I have no problems with a roll cage being attached to just the body, if the floor where its welded or bolted to it in good sound shape. If you have a trail roll over, you will have no problems and be safe. Attaching them to the frame is an expensive and time consuming option, that to me, if you have good solid metal in the cab is a waste. To attach to the frame, you have to make outriggers from the frame to the upper part of the floor where your roll bar leg comes down to, and if you dont want squeak and extra vibratins, you have to attach them with either rubber or poly bushings. There are none made for this and as far as I know you will have to make/modify some existing ones.

I hope to have my full cage installed by the time I go to tellico, I am going to put a c.b. and probably some light and other switchs on an overhead small console that I will build into the cab section of the full cage. If you are planning on running a soft top, you may want to get one and put it on before you get a cage built. That way you will know where all the bows and stuff go so that you can make your cage fit right.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Depdog Nailed it!!!
    I also have a custome 6pt cage with a halo. I too was luck in having a buddy in the pipe bending biz, on his spare time he helped me bend it and weld it! There is an ok pic of it on my site but I need to update it with a better one.
    http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099
    a custome cage is the sure bet when wheelin...save some cash and get it done!!!
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

20. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

I'm with Delta9. Anything is better than nothing. And no I'm not going rock-crawling. Burt, it looks like your custom cage doesn't help the rear seat out much, and I agree that from what I can see none of those single tube (and/or factory looking ones) appear to do any good for the back seaters. Already checked Smitty built, but couldn't figure out which one was on Project K5, but even so it looks like the factory one. Don't want to spend the $$ on a fabbed one, and don't know anyone with a bender. I see the point about the fiberglass top not protecting much either (but at least I do keep the rain out, the heat or air-cond in, and don't have to worry about bad guys jumping in at stop lights).

Not sure what to do at this point. Safety is primo concern when it comes to the kids. Top stays on until I can figure something out...