Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i am curious as to the feasibility of putting a factory roll bar from 2nd gen into a first gen blazer? i have read a few threads that hint towards it. but is it a smooth install? does anyone know what years i can find factory roll bars in 2nd gen blazers.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You would have to look for a "full topper". I think they went up to 77?

If it makes any difference to you the roll bar in my K5 is for a truck. The hard top just clears it...same with the soft top (which flappes against it).

2. thanx for the info

3. badpeanut

badpeanut Registered Member

I have a factory rollbar from a '73-'75 Blazer (still a full hardtop). This style mounts behind the front seats. I have not test fit it in my 1st generation since I have to remove the top to get it in place. I am curious if anyone has put one of these 2nd gen rollbars in a 1st gen?

I also have a factory rollbar from a '76 or '77. It mounts behind the rear wheels and the two down tubes (the angled legs--not sure what to call them) mount to the wheel tubs. I think they went to this style of rollbar with the change to the halftop in '76 rather than the change in the floor in '78 ('78 has a deeper footwell for rear seat passengers so the '73-'75 style won't fit). I tried to set it in place today on my 1st gen, but the mounting plates on the down tubes are at the wrong angle. It would require some modifications to fit.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

full tops were 68..?..to 75. then up is half /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (and yea that was a dumb move to make on GM's part if you ask me) but its better than nothing like now /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif