Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll Cage Advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4wheelin4Jesus, Apr 26, 2005.

1. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

I Am Fabricating My Roll Cage From Scratch. I Am Going To Be Installing Bucket Seats With Sliders (like The Ones On Dune Buggies). The Seat Will Rest On Top Of 2 Tubes That Will Be Connected To The Roll Cage. What I Need Is The Recommended Dimension From The Floor Pan To The Top Of The Roll Cage Bar That The Seat Will Be Mounted To. Also, Has Anyone Mounted Harnesses And Been Succesful In Getting Their Seat To Slide? If Anyone Has Any Pictures, Design Ideas, Or Advice, I Would Appreciate It.
    Thanks,

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

i FRICKEN HATE when people press shift for the start of every word...

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That will depend on a combination of slider height, seat choice, and personal preference. It will also depend on your baseline vehicle since truck floors and seats are different from say a K5 or sub, and I believe it also depends on first/second gen as well...

I would also suggest that you try to use proper punctuation and grammar when posting. You will get much better and more helpful responses that way. For instance, I often avoid answering posts from people who post in all caps and run on sentences, it's just not worth my time and trouble to try to work out what someone was trying to say or deal with the jarring effect of all caps (reserved for shouting) or cap on every word. And there are a lot of people who feel the same way...

4. 4wheelin4Jesus

its called caps lock. thanks for the hot sauce advice.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm running Celica GT buckets on my seat bridge. The top of my seat bridge down to the floor is 7". I bolted the slider assembly of the Toyota seats directly to the tube.

As near as I can tell this put the butt part of the seat ~12" off the floor. I did this part of my cage last. I threw the seat in the truck on some spacers (high tech wood blocks) to get a preview of how the seat height was going to work. I had the seats at 8.5" off the floor and it was fine...exzcpet it put my melon a little too close to one of the roll cage brace bars. An inch and a half lower gives me a ton more headroom.

I'd say just mock it up with the seats you plan on running, and build your bridge to suit those seats and their sliders mechanisms.

Rene

6. 4wheelin4Jesus

thanks a lot for the advice. mocking it up is the best option. i was trying to figure it all in my head, and my pee brain freeked out.
    God bless,
    Mike