Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll cage input needed

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ecameron87, Nov 19, 2005.

1. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

I am having a roll cage installed into my 72 K5. We want to tie it into the frame, but are having a hard time finding a way to do it because the rocker support boxes are in the way. Is this a smart thing to do with a first generation blazer. I do want to get rid of the body flex that I get off-road. What we are thinking of doing is tearing out the support boxes and making a sub frame that also doubles as a slider. Should we then tie this subframe to the blazers frame? Will the twisting of the frame be too much stress on the sliders?

I have searched the website and found other people with this idea, but no one told of how well it worked, and there are no pics to get the idea.

If anyone can post pics of how they tied a cage into the frame I would appreciate it.

2. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

I'm no authority on the subject, but seems like boxing in the frame would be one step towards preventing flex along with a full cage. I think some guys in the garage forum have done this.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It sounds counter-intuitive, but a strong cage in the cab can help prevent flex in the frame....

Unfortunately, a simple ladder frame (which most trucks like ours have) has lousy torsional strength...even when boxed. A much better way to prevent twisting is to add a well-triangulated cage.

I'll submit that it would have a huge effect on stiffness even if it wasn't tied to the frame below. But if you were willing to go to the extra effort (and yes the 1st Gen rocker boxes are right in the way!) to connect to the underlying frame...you could get even MORE stiffness......and more interior noise and vibration too. :crazy:

4. ecameron87

Yes, I have been warned about the interior noise and vibration. Maybe I will use bushings while tying it into the frame to help prevent this. What do people do when they cut out the rocker and weld in a slider? Does the support box go as well or is the slider welded to it as well? Burt4x4 has done the slider correct :D ?

5. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

Keep in mind my trucks a trailer queen so I can’t say anything about road noise and such but I cut the rocker boxes out when I did the cage. I used outriggers to tie it into the frame and when I put the sliders in I tied it all together. It gave me 5 different attachment points to the frame and it ended up being kind of a sub frame like you talked about.

It’s worked well so far but I still need to do something with the front end because when I’m in something nasty the windshield frame flexes back and hits the cage. :yikes:

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I am just about done with my cage, slider's, Bumpers. I will see if I can post some pics tonight. Check out diy4X.com

I bought his caged stake floor plates and used those for the frame attachment thru the floor and then on the bottom side I made L shaped units that bolt onto the frame front and rear and those are attached to my sliders. In the rear I sandwiched the rear bumper brackets betwenn the frame and l shaped brackets from my cage. I used 2" DOM 120 wall for the cage and 2" by 3" 120 wall rectangular for the inner parts of the sliders and attached 2" DOM to that to get the nerf bar affect.

I cut the rocker boxes out. I left a small amount that is parallel to the ground near the rocker panel for strength. I will post pics as soon as I can. Just bring your visa card when you start paying for a cage and sliders and such, especially custom work. I would figure out how much mine cost but then I might cry!!

7. ecameron87

Great! Can't wait to see pics. We are just getting started on mine.
    Are your sliders integrated into the body, replacing the rocker panels?

8. 70jimmy

Nope I kept the original rocker panels and my sliders don't touch the body, just come out right under it.

9. 70jimmy

OK heres a few pics that explain it better. I will post some more in about a week when I make more progress.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yep...... that looks like a few dollars in cagework! :yikes:

No more hardtop though, eh?

11. ecameron87

Thanks for posting the pics. Looks good. So no more top? I like how you kept a passage way to walk through from the front seats to the back. Let me know if the sliders hit the body while it is flexed out.

12. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

That cage looks awesome :bow: :bow:

13. 70jimmy

Thanks for the compliments guys!! :D Finally getting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!!

Nope no more hard top for me. I am going to have a custom bikini and a full soft top made. We will see how that turns out.

Yep wanted to make it so I could even get to the back seat if I needed to.

I think the only way sliders will hit the body is if I bend them. We will see though. :weld: :hack: :grind: :woot: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :mad:

14. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

:eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :bow: :bow: :bow:
    Looks like a lot of overtime was required for that purchase/build. NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A CAGE.

That Blazers' looking great!

15. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My cage was/is tied into the frame with bushings.
    Torsion boxes/rockers were cut out and sliders put in.
    Sliders are just welded to the frame as a unit.

Don't believe I get alot of noise from just the cage but it's hard to tell given the limited pavement driving it see's.

The sliders work great, just last weekend I drove right onto and over a huge cut down tree that posed an obsticle without issue or worrying about rocker damage.

DCP_3391bigblazer.jpg

DCP_3392bigblazer.jpg

DCP_3579hobo.jpg

DCP_3397bigblazer.jpg

16. ecameron87

Thanks VTBLAZER. So there is no want of separation between the slider and the body? Looks like the design will hold up. Could you get a better pic of the slider with the door open? I want to see how much of the rocker box was cut. I think for now I am tying the cage into the frame without the sliders. We found a way to do it without cutting the support boxes out. I will post pics as soon as we are done.

17. vtblazer

ecameron87, I didn't forget... :o

I went up that very day and took pics for you but apparently my photo program is messed, sorry.
    Not able to post pics currently.

Send me a pm with your e-mail addy if you want, I can send them that way.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  18. vtblazer

Here ya go.

DCP_3780sliders.jpg

DCP_3781sliders.jpg

DCP_3782sliders.jpg

DCP_3783sliders.jpg

19. ecameron87

20. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

VT, don't you have a gold 1st gen also?!?! Nice!! Can you point me to a post or website that will show/tell more about this one pictured? And what t-case are you running?