Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll Cage Mounting points

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ECNiz, May 9, 2001.

1. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

Hey guys, I'm trying to build an 8pt cage for my 72 blazer.
    I'm trying to figure out how to mount the front part, right next
    to my feet under the dash. because there's another piece of
    sheetmetal about 8" under the floor, so I don't know how to get nuts under there to bolt it down. anyone with a cage
    tell me how they did this?

Thanks.

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Weld it on... I wouldn't recomend taking out the boxes or cutting them or drill a hole and use colapsable wing nuts

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

If you were going to have an 8pt. wouldn't you want to tie it in to the frame?not just the floor or whats the point?

[​IMG]<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

how would I go about tying it into the frame?

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

My cage is bolted to that part of the floor with lag bolts. The hoop that goes behind the front seats is tied into the body's cross memeber wich also has body mounts on it to the frame. I belive for a body mounted rollcage this is the strongest piont. I have a 6pt now but will be adding a rear halo to it for the 'family' style cage.
    To mount it to the frame one of the easyiest ways is to first mount to the body and then make runners or supports comming off the frame to the underside of the body were the cage is mounted. The key is to NOT use the same size mounting plate on the inside/outside and to also put a nice thick piece of rubber(a big rubber square) inbetween the plates to cut out the fram vibrations and allow flex.

I think my cage will hold up fine I may add runners lateron to the center area just for extra CYA....it's not like I expect to use the cage at highspeeds so........

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>