Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll Cage pics!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Feb 24, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, Im going to be MIG welding myself a rollcage for my Jimmy and was wondering if anyone could post some pics so i can get an idea where to start from. And I was wondering for the front cage, how do I get it in? Do I have to weld it right inside my truck? Help!

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

If you buy a roll bar kit, Like I did from S@W racecars.
    S@W website
    It will come in pieces. You will have to final fit and weld it into place. this is a pic of my roll cage. i moved the rear support bars out and mounted them to the wheel wells so my rear seat would fit back in. This is the standard 10 cage. You can upgrade to a "family" style kit, which will include an extra main hoop, and enough tubing to install. If you were a member at CK5, you would also get a discount on their cage. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    Just one of the beni's of being a member!!
    [​IMG]

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

This bad boy was in my father in laws 78' blazer, it's about 12 years old. My wife used to hold on to it when she was a kid /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Kind of cool knowing my chiddlin's will do the same. It was from an existing blazer roll bar and some other one he had found, not quite sure. It is not tied into the frame or anything. It has custom steel plates that it bolts to under the body. It could use a fresh set of paint, but every time I take off the top it gets all scratched up /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

[​IMG]

By the way, I'm selling this rollcage too.

5. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

How much??????
    Bill

6. k51989

k51989 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif how much dude?

7. Desert Rat

I have no idea how much it would cost to make one. I see S&W charges about $150 for the cage and about $60-$80 for shipping. I guess it would depend on whether or not someone could just come pick it up. I really don't want to ship it. I'm guessing I would sell it for around $100, maybe less. I've been scouring the net and haven't found too many for sale. I'm guessing most folks have someone custom make them. This one goes in a 73-75 Blazer. It doesn't look like it will fit in my 76 due to the differences in roof line. I would like to find the same style for my 76 as well. Sorry to hijack the thread. I figured I would put up an ad in the For Sale section pretty soon, along with 2 74's I will be selling. Anybody know a good place to buy one for my 76 or maybe I should look into modifying this one to make it fit? /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

does that just slip in under the cab roof??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. Desert Rat

I'm going to have to see what it will do as soon as it stops raining. I will see if I can get it into my 76, although I suspect not. I know it will go in my 74, but I took it out by taking the roof completely off. I'm suspecting that it is too tall for a 76 and newer due to the difference in roof heights. The full top off Blazers roofs are smooth front to back. The 76 and on is broken up by the transition from fiberglass top to metal cab.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    does that just slip in under the cab roof??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What you have to do is cut the roof off then weld it back on. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Just kidding. What you can do is fit everything to make sure it fits. The B hoop (over driver) is usualy stepped back a few inches from under the roof. Once the front cage is tacked together you pull out the rear section as a unit. Weld up the front cross bars and legs outside the truck. Then when you install it you slide the front legs in from the bed and stand them up. Then the rear section of cage and weld the front ot the hoop. You may have to remove the steering wheel or even drop the colum to put the cage in if you put a dash level cross bar in.

12. wfotyme

wfotyme Registered Member

I bought a cage from Smitty-Built for my 74 K5, but it doesn't fit..It's for a later model..I've been tring to contact them but I've had no luck..Maybe we can work something out? I live in Fresno..How far away am I from you?

13. Desert Rat

I'm up in the Pleasanton/Dublin/Livermore area. It is west of Modesto closer to the SF bay area. Do you have a pic? A buddy of mine bought 40 acres east of Fresno somewhere. I may get down there at some point.

14. tayv

tayv Registered Member

I know this is old, but I just found it. This is a smitty built cage for a second gen right? are the fron feet welded together in the right spot? any expertise would be great!!

15. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I just finished mine a few weeks ago, the smittybuilt, I had to do alot of head scratching and measuring and cutting and grinding, took about 2 days. but it turned out pretty good. sorry no pics /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif