Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll Cage Plans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, Apr 18, 2005.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Got any? I'm thinking of bulding my own cage (with some help of course) and first thing I need is a plan. Anything from a sketch to a detailed 3D CAD drawing with measurements will help. Looking to do a family cage in my 1990 jimmy. Bolted to the body, tying in seats and seat belts.

What 'ya got?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you could steal ideas off of the UAV... tRustys looked pretty kick azz too (if I am remembering correctly! lol!)...

j

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Here is the way we did mine. We (me and az-k5) used the Smittybuilt front legs from there kit. They contour great and keep the bars away from your legs as much as possible. Then we ran more tube straight back to the rear of the truck. from each leg.

We built the cage opposite of the way most people build them. Most people have a U bar at the B pillar. We extended the a bar straight back from thel legs in the front of the cab all the way to the back. Then we ran spreader bars by the B pillar and the C pillar. Then we ran feet down the B pillar and bend in the rear main tubes for the rear C pillar bars.

You can see pics in my webshots of the cage. We just added in some more bracing that isn't in those pics yet. It is an easy way to build a cage and requires very few bends. There are 6 bend in my cage other then the bends in the Smittybuilt legs. 4 of the 6 bends are not 100% necessary, they are more for looks and tighter fit to the body.

I will be in Fort Collins in less then a month. You can stop by sometime and check it out if you like. We need to have a meet and greet so I can meet all the Northern Colorado guys.

Harley

4. Hossbaby50

You better be damn good with a bender and have some mad coping skills if you want those kind of cages. Lots of money for tube helps too.

I helped az-k5 build his cage like Trusty's design and that was alot of fun let me tell ya. :crazy: I did learn alot though when we did that and then tubed the rear of his truck out.

Harley

5. jekbrown

yeah, definitely be a good learning experience when I do mine. I am gonna figure out how much tube I need, and then buy 2x that. I figure after all the **** ups I'll almost have enuff. ;) tRustys is bad azz, definitely more skills than I'll ever have. Still, looking at well designed caged can give ya inspiration, even if you aren't going to try and copy them bend for bend.

j

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

BigDummy89K5 and I built my cage and bumpers together (gonna be doing his truck next). It definitely helps to have help of any sort, it's pretty tough to hold stuff up, measure and scratch yer head all at the same time. :blush: :laugh:

Anyways, if it helps at all I'll throw my cage pic's up here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

That is about 110 feet of tube, through the corenrs of the dash etc etc.

Rene

7. tRustyK5

Not quite sure how the pic's ended up side by each there...:confused:

Oops.

Rene

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Must be on your end. They are stacked vertically for me at least.

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Here is mine. It is very involved though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have 2D drawings of each piece individually (front halo, rear main hoop, rear halo). The beauty of harleys cage is there is less welding inside the cab (still some over the bed but it is easier) and all of the bends are single bends so not parallel bends are needed (a good thing for your first bending project). Gusseting is the key in cages. I am teaching harley as much as I can before he leaves. There is another 50 ft of tube going in mine before he leaves. When my rig is done it will have close to 200 ft of tube :yikes: . The cage alone is in the 120 range.

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

About how many hours do you all think you had in putting the cages together?

What did you all use for benders?

I'm going to be the one helping Nick, BTW. When we were talking about it last I was thinking it would be easier to start with the Smitty or S&W basic cages. Seems to me the bars that run down the windshield would be the hardest.

This way we'll do Nick's first, then we'll have it all figured out when we're ready for mine. :wink1:

11. tRustyK5

We used a JD2 and between the two of us probably put about 30 hours into my cage...

Rene

12. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Yea currently the S&W cage as a starting point looks like a good way to go, then add on all the fun stuff like the rear family portion and seat mounts.

Rene did you make those brackets for your seats or buy them somewhere? -Same question for the floor plates, also what size did you use 5"x7"?

Also any more comments on how long it took you guys?

:thumb:

13. Hossbaby50

Matt has redesigned his cage about 4 times and added in alot of stuff. I can't even imagine how many hours he has in on it now. I have been there helping him for at least 15 hours on it and I know he has at least 2x if not 3x that amount of time in it.

BC, I used 4" or 5" foot plates on my truck.

Harley

14. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's some shots of when mine had a full body. I never tumbled it set up like this but I don't have any doubt I would have survived, it would bend but we'd all make it. Material is 2 x.120 DOM for the main cab section and 1.75 x .120 for the rear section. It ties through the floor to the frame in multiple locations.

There are some other shots of the "buggy-ish" cage configuration here: ORD custom rigs page

I don't have a clue how much time is into it, it was all the time I had for quite a while....

15. jekbrown

kickin ass. Stephens center console / dash / glove box makes my rig green with envy. As soon as I can afford 300' of steel tube... I wanna do something similar.

j

16. tRustyK5

I made the seat brackets and the seat belt anchor brackets out of various flat bar. IIRC the retractor brackets are 1/4" x 3" and the seat anchor brackets are 3/8" x 2" (then shaped to my needs of course)

The floor plates are 6.25" x 5" x .188" plate. We had 32 cut with 4 holes already drilled in them just sitting in a pile at work. They were made for a job we had but were wrong somehow. They were destined for the scrap barrel, and they suited my needs perfectly so I asked for them. Big time saver not having to make those...:D

Rene

17. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Man, looking at Stephen's rig makes me realize all the cool things you can do with a cage. The dash and center console are cool.

I think all these pictures are going to help a lot.

18. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Stephen, WTF is that big black tube in the center of your rig, the snorkel? I want the plans for that thing. =)

19. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

He replaced the big block for a steam engine to be more eco friendly. :D

20. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Oh... Thanks Steve... that makes more sense now. =)

Lol
    :saweet: :saweet: :saweet: :saweet: :saweet: :woot: :haha: