Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roll cage question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HEFTY, Jan 16, 2002.

1. HEFTY

HEFTY Registered Member

there is a chance that i can have a custom roll cage made by a nationally known high performance parts suplier. i have been able to talk to their chasis shop and they have said they will build a full roll cage, mount the seats in the cage and install five point harnessess. For 1000-1500 dollars plus the cost of the seat belts.

i can also get pretty much the same roll cage made by a local shop owner who has done cages in race cars. He gave me a price of 600 bucks.

i am doing this for safety. should i just go with the well established well known company or the cheaper local guy.
    is the 1000-1500 dollars reasonable for a cage knowing it is done right, and peace of mind.

thanks for your opinion.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ask to see some of the local guys work and sit down and talk with him about how he wants to do it. ask the big guys the same thing. if the match up and you like his work save some cash.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

3. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    <font color=green>Some large outlets value their reputation, so they may do better work.

However, some of the small shops are trying to make a name for themselves, and do some excellent work.

I agree that the best way to decide, is to check out some completed work, then sit down and talk to the guy that will be doing the actual fabrication. Sometimes a case of beer goes a long, long way in making the builder do his best work.
    </font color=green>

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Yo HEFTY, You get what you pay for...sometimes it's the bragging rights of a well known name. I'd definately check out the local guy but make sure the tubing he uses is the right stuff for the job. I got a similar quote of $1500.00 and thought geez that's a lot of money. I'd rather buy a welder and a tubing bender and take a welding class at the community college and do it myself. besides then I could do all those other welding projects that I want to do.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)