Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roll cage questions.. and subframe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Dec 24, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I will b making some big changes in the next xouple weeks and have some questions,

on early jeeps, willys, cj-5's ect I have seen cages pass through the tub and welded directly to the side of the frame.

Is there reasons why I could not do the same? I imagin that body flex will be an issue but am still thinking. I also think that if I was to roll bad enough that I would rather have the body seperate from the frame, and not have to worry about the drive train killing me, so maby I should not connect to the frame.

Also I picked up my 2x2 steel today and I am making a subframe under the rear floor to make the body lift smaller and hopfully loose some of the leverage that it may cause. When I rolled all 4 of the rear bolts ripped through the body and the floor is comming apart in 3 places too /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif..so I cant open my tailgate or the floor will lift a few inches and a fender caves in about a foot /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

will addin the subframe make a differece, I know the bolts wont rip through again, but will it be less leverage having a 1 inch body lift and 2 inches mounted to the body? Or is 3 inches 3 inches either way?

Also I want to move the 2 tubes off of my wheel wells and into the new subframe for more beef, I did the same in the front too when I did the boat-siding.

hmm lots of thinking, and since I use the truck as a dd for working I can't have no floor for too long /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

oppinions? Thoughts?

current idea..kind of.. [​IMG]

also will be adding a tube on top of the dash and behing the seats as well to attach the 5 points to /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

don't know how toi answer your subframe ? because i have never been there, however on the cage tie in---i would definately NOT weld directly to the frame. I think the frame moves too much as it is--so welding to the frame directly--somethins gotta give. i would do one of two things ( both doing basically the same thing.)

If your cage is mounted to the body via plates,-- plate the bottom and run a bar from the bottom plate to the frame. at the frame, bolt (what we call some dog ears here) to the frame, inside those dog ears will be a bushing.

Or if you don't like that, you can cut a hole dierctly to the side of the bar and go directly from the inside cage-through tthe hole and to the frame and end it w/ some dog ears and a bushing.

(the dog ears is just a bracket to hold the bushing.)