Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roll cage size

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sams78chevy, Nov 24, 2005.

1. sams78chevy

sams78chevy Registered Member

So my tube bender is on the way and I was just wondering what size you all out there made your roll cages out of. I was going to make my inner cage out of 1.75 but alot of my buddies told me to go way bigger but I think it is just because they want me to get a really big die for all of there bumpers and such. But anyways thanks for the help.

2. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

1-3/4x.120 will work. it also depends how much tube you use, a 10 point 1-3/4" cage is probably much stronger than a 6 point 2" one :dunno: i am doing a 1-3/4" incab with a 2" outer exo. it also depends on how much room you want to give up inside the rig. a 2" or bigger tubing cage is gonna interfere more than the 1-3/4" a tighter center line radius of the bender die will help, i would say look at other users cages on ck5 and that will give you a pretty good idea what works. by the way if your buddies want bumpers tell em ok but you are gonna buy me the die to bend em! :D

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

1.75" is fine. Cage design is infinitely more important than tube size.

j

4. gauder

gauder Banned

1 5/8" is good for a cage, 1 3/4" for a roll bar.

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

1.75 or 1.5 120 wall is pretty much standard for cages. Most fabricators use one of these but I've seen more fullsizes using 1.75