Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll Cage Steel Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4wheelin4Jesus, Sep 5, 2005.

1. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

Need some advice before i spend way too much time using the wrong material. My buddy has a bunch of Allied Schedule 10 abf - 1 1/2" pipe. It is 28HO Steel. It is mainly used for sprinker systems. Hes telling me that people use this stuff for roll cages all the time. Ive done a bunch of research on DOM tubing, and that stuff seams to be strong as crap. Has anyone ever used anything else besides DOM before? Have you rolled your rig? Did the lesser strengthed tubing fail? I am planning on triangulating the roll cage really well. I dont plan on rolling, but if i do, i dont want to trash my roll cage where i will have to start over having to spend more on DOM like i should have at the beginning.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks,
    Mike

2. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

:eek1:

I think you already know the proper thing to do.

Install a sprinkler & water your yard,but dont blemish the offroad community by building a PIPE cage.

3. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

like said in anther recent post. Do you know how much more heavy that is?

4. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

Build a cage out of sprinkler pipe and you'll soon be wheeling WITH jesus. :eek1:
    If you don't want to buy expensive DOM, then consider HREW Structural Tubing. Ask for it at your local metal shop, they will know what it is. I am using 2" diameter 0.120" wall and this will be plenty strong. other popular sizes are 1 5/8 by 0.134 wall and 1 3/4 by 0.120 wall, or at least these are the ones i see used and discussed most.

5. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

thats funny as crap. The great thing about this site is the sense of humor. Im with you all. I will check into the DOM. Or, I can use the sprinkler pipe for the cage, and hook up a sprinkler system to it. :haha: I appreciate all of your help.
    thanks, and God bless,
    Mike

6. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

HREW will probably come in close to half what DOM does price wise (around here anyway)

DOM for safety and if you wheel alot it will save you money in the long run. HREW will bend or break under a hard flop but if your doing minor stuff it would be okay

7. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

Cheapies.

Its a device that *shall* save your life - dont be cheap ! ;)