Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll Cage that bolts inplace of the fiberglass top and canvas cover

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Oct 23, 2002.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Anyone thought of this, seen this, built this, or have pics?
    [​IMG]

2. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I'm actually doing something like that.The cage sits ontop of the bed rails and will have supports going to the frame in several locations.Then I plan on bolting the canvas top to the cage frame.I should of had it done by now,but other things came up!I'll try to post some pics when I finish it.Mike

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

hum....nice concept, never seen it either, however by looking at the mounting points of the cage, its not all that practical or reliable for safety. Look at the points to which it mounts: Bolts to cab like the topper does and bolts to the sides of the bedrails... in other words a expensive pipe topper. Looks cool and makes a good mount for a homebrew soft top. I wouldn't trust the lives of my passengers to anything short of being mounted to the frame, as an extension of the frame. Think about tumbling sideways down a hill the length of the truck end over end. Not hood to tail but door to door roll...seems like that alone would be enough to shear the bolts that mount it grade 8 or not, or atleast cause the next weak link, the sheetmetal to tear....
    Just some thoughts, if i understand this design correctly.

4. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I agree with Bowtie Blazer on this issue. The design is great for a homemade soft-top mount system but as far as the ability to protect you and your passengers in the event of a roll over, I don't think it would be all that reliable. Like Bowtie says, the mounting bolts will likely shear through the thin body panels, then you have a real mess on your hands. Sorry, it is just my opinion. Again that is a great design for a homemade soft-top frame, but I didn't want you getting lured into a false sense of security if you intended on using it as a roll cage.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's called a Can Back. Go to the product review section and see steves write up.
    I don't care what you make it out of I sure would not trucst my life in a roll to ANYTHING bolted to the top of the bed rails.

6. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    If you are planning on using it as a roll bar(and you should),you will need to tie it directly to the frame in several places.I'm doing mine at the front cab,rear cab,behind the seats,and at the rear of the bed.I have all the tubing cut and have used about 160 feet,alot of legs and braces!It will be a 16 point(to the cab/frame) cage.I'm going to have legs going from the bottom of the bed rails to the frame.It alot of work!

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Yeah, more than likely theres not going to be a rear seat in the truck. Its going to be used for looks and to attach the canvas top too. Originally I was going to have a hummer style roll bar in the back that slants down in the tail but I could not attach a top to it. I have not way of making my own rollcage so this is just a concept for a canvas top. I thought about tieing back into the frame but I want it to be easy to replace the fiberglass top.
    What about running a rollcage inside the rear panels tied to the frame and then have it bolt from the top bolt back into the lower section? First concept for drivers rollcage, hummer style rear.