Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll Cage Welded to wind. frame?Pics???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by atlantak-5er, Dec 2, 2003.

1. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

I needs some pics of where I can weld a roll cage to the Windshield frame on my '75. What should I use, plates, or tube, or pipe?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Are you talking about a style like a stock TJ where the bars stop at the wndshield frame?

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure that I like the idea... a cage without the down bars directly over the driver compartment doesn't sound worth the savings in tube, space, time or anything else. Just my .02.

-Dan

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Its been discussed before I believe, jeeps have that part of the body designed to be structurally strong so its ok to put a cage to there(I'm talking bottom of windshield around the dash) but on a K5 its not designed to same, go with full down bars to the floor, a cage is no place to skimp or cut corners.

5. atlantak-5er

No, thats not what I am talking about. Sorry I was not clearer. I have a roll cage (dragster style from S&w racecars already installed in my truck. It has full down tubes, etc. I just want to weld my windshield frame to the rollcage to hold the windshield frame in place. It flexes and my doors dont close right when not parked level. I belive my rocker boxes are gone (rusted out). Kind of like what that guy said about a TJ's. Where shoud I attach it and how? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The windshield frame isn't strong enough to prevent the whole body from flexing. If you weld the cage to the windshield frame the most likely result will be a twisted windshield frame and/or a broken windshield. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You're gonna need to do something to beef up the rocker box area. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif One thing that may help minimize the body flex is to install kicker bars between the front and rear downtubes of the cage. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif (Just make sure that the body is straight when you weld 'em in.) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Somebody on this board has done this with good results. He did have good rockers and had the sag issue. He welded in some square tubeing between the cage and the top. I plan on something like this.

I dont think you will tweak anything out. Thats what the windshield pillers were doing with the full top on anyway.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

YeildToMe has done it and it worked out good. I thing Muddin did it on her rig as well. Yeaild just made a fill peice between to headach bar and the windsheild header. I plan to redo my cage one day. I'm going to make tgusset plates like you see on a WRX rallye car with the dimpled holes up the pillars and then a couple 4 inch wide tie ins between where the plates for the hardtop go. Now when I redo the cage it will be a lot closer to the windsheild frame. I aill also tie it into the kick pannels.

9. atlantak-5er

Thanks Grim, I hope you are recoveing well. I am going to try to weld some square tubing to the frame and see what happens. Let me know next time you guys go trail riding. I just was at rich mtn. last weekend.