Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll cage

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Truckdweld, Feb 26, 2001.

1. Truckdweld

Truckdweld Registered Member

Stephen, I want to put a roll cage in my full size chevy truck. I am going to use 2" tubing. Do you think that 2"x1/4" would be over kill. Should 2x1/8 be strong enough. Thanks Ryan

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I was just perusing my SCORE rulebook from a couple of years ago yesterday and for vehicles over 5000 lbs, 2x.120 tubing is required for rollcages. Seems like a good choice.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You got any pics of your 'cage, Stephen???

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Leftover nuts never match leftover bolts." [​IMG]

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

2" x .120 wall would be fine. K5's really hold up pretty well in a roll over due to the beefy structure over the front seats, so your priorities should be bracing up the windshield frame area, and protecting the passengers. I used DOM tubing for mine, but even welded seam would do the trick. In a full removeable top, you obviously have a bit more to worry about.

Also keep in mind that a cage can go a long ways toward stiffening the frame, in addition to protecting the passengers. If you can take it to the frame, do it. I had a lot of frame flex in mine before I caged it, now it's pretty stiff.

I don't have any digital pics of it, so I'll see if I can snap a few sometime. The back seat's out of it, so it'll show off a little better at this point.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD