Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll Cage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by d_gib, Jul 25, 2004.

1. d_gib

d_gib Newbie

I have an 81 Jimmy that I just aquired and getting it ready for the fun stuff, but I need to put a cage in it. Does anyone have suggestions on
    A) what size tube to use
    B) the amount of tube i am going to need
    C) Maybe some pictures of what an installed cage will/should look like

Thank you

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Hi...Welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

There have been some threads running about "Commercial" cages you can buy and install. S&WRacing has a nice kit. Jegs and Smittybilt also have kits to install.

You can click on the "Search" link and enter RollCage and see what comes up. There are a few who have made their own so maybe they'll post up.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. d_gib

d_gib Newbie

THANKS, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What kind of wheelin' do you plan to do to where you think you'll need a cage?

I used 1.75" .120 wall HREW, most people will use DOM, and maybe thicker like 2" tube. HREW should be fine unless you're doing hard or multiple rolls. Look to use anywhere between 60-100 feet of tube depending how extensive you want it (alot of braces & going all the way back like a family style cage, or just for the cab? etc)

Go to the link in my profile and go to "Work" album to check out my cage. It was built for jus the cab and bolted to the floor. We built that in 1 night just to get it ready for a weekend run. It makes my driver "area" kinda tight so Im actaully cutting it out this weekend and debating whether I should build another one, b/c the truck doesnt see much off-roading anymore.