Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll Cage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kyser_soze, Oct 17, 2004.

1. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I am planning on building and installing a roll cage in my K5. I would like to have some reccomendations on the diameter and guage of the steel, mounting locations, and the best patterns that would hold up in a roll-over. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

First of all, most people use 1.75" HREW tubing with a wall thickness of around .125 ( i think /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif) and the mounting locations can varry, there has been alot of debates of frame mounted VS. body mounted cages. So maybe search on that.
    And for the best rollcage, it must have triangulation, so a bunch of straight bars will probably bend.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

On a full size I would go 1.75" or 2" .120 wall tube. Hrew works fine for 95% of people. Build the main tubes (the big hoops and legs) out of the 1.75" or 2" and you triangulate the rest using smaller (1.5" or 1.25") tube. If it is not going to take a direct hit you can make the small tubes out of .095 wall. I am using .120 wall for everything so I don't have to worry.