Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll cage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudjunkie 82, Dec 17, 2004.

1. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I thought I would ask everyones opinion on roll cages,I mostly mud and wonder if I really need to put a roll cage in my rig??????????????

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

You probobally dont need one, but i really dont think they are a terrible idea. I wouldnt mind having one in my K5, even though it doesnt get wheeled to terribly hard.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The fact that you are asking the question may mean that you do need one. Must have been a fun trip...:D

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It is better to have a rollcage and not need it then to not have it and need it. That is the way I see it. I have a rollcage in my truck now and I am happy I do. It makes me feel much more secure and confident when I am offroad. I like it because it also protects any passengers I have in the truck from time to time.

Harley

5. mudjunkie 82

Did you build it yourself?

6. Hossbaby50

Partially yes. A friend of mine gets the credit for it but I help build it to. The front part of my cage is the Smittybuilt kit. Only the front down tubes are Smittybuilt, the rest o the cage was built by a friend and myself. My buddy has access to a bender and he bent up the tubes and we assembled it.

Right now it is just a basic 6 point cage but it is going to get more hardcore when I get the opportunity and time to add some stuff in. It is going to get turned into at least a 10 point cage sometime this winter or spring. I will probably add in more crossbracing and gussets too.

Harley

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

This is the best answer. I have had a roll bar since I got my K5 6 years ago. I have had a full cage for about a year and a half. I have been much more comfortable in the truck since both on and offroad. I am one of those people that fully plans on using the cage and this is still my DD. There are some nice kits out there if you are not up to building one. Smittybuilt is crap! EssentiallyOffroad.com has a nice setup.

8. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

what he said, I dont think you need one but its a great piece of mind

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

If you just do mild mudding... then probably not. But, if you have the funds to do it, why not. Better safe than sorry. ITs wont hurt anything. Well, maybe add a little more weight, but its for a safety item.

10. four_by_ken

At least a 10 pt? Why would you need anythign more?
    :confused:

11. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

Usually when I spend the money for something I'm not sure I'll ever use, I don't end up using it. So spend the money to make sure you don't roll :)

12. Hossbaby50

2 of those points are just going to be door bars. I think 10 point is where I will stop but we will see. I want the cage to be plenty rigid incase I take a highspeed roll or something like that. The 6pt. I have now would take a flop or a slow roll just fine but I wouldn't trust it to a highspeed roll.

I want the rollcage to be able to take a licking and keep on ticking. If you get heavy enough into rockcrawling here in AZ it is not a question of if you roll it but when you roll it. Flops are more common and I want a cage that can take multiple flops without distortion or tweaking.

That is why I want a 10 pt cage and will probably end up with lots of gusseting to reinforce it even more. Plus I know a guy who can bend tube pretty good an he is up on all the engineering I need to know to make it super stout. If it is available I might as well use it and benefit from it. Plus I tend to be his work slave on his truck so stuff like this is what I get in return. :thumb:

Harley

13. four_by_ken

What I was getting at is that 200+mph drag cars only use a 10pt cage... how much more do you need.

Some people way over do the cages.

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

A drag car uses its cage once. My cage is over done by all means, but I can smack it and flop it all I want and still trust is for the on the highway. It is kinda how AZ is, you use the cage as a slider on a lot of trails and plan on doing so.

15. Hossbaby50

Your not working today?

Yes, like Matt said, it is not only a safety device it is also a slider and can be leaned and dragged along rocks to keep you from flopping over. It is a mutli-use device that hopefully never see's its main use but it is possible and it is possible it can happen more then once.

Harley

16. four_by_ken

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Differant types of wheeling for differant people.

17. mudjunkie 82

Thanks for the input guys! I think I will plan on installing one. My buddy is a N.H.R.A Certified Chassis welder and said he would install it for about 300.00 not a bad price for labor..................................................

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not bad, for you I'd totally say doing it. With all that power and height all it would take is one wrong sideways slide end up on at least your side. I'd definetally cage, one thing no one has mentioned, it will help stiffen the body and maybe chassis depending how you go with it.

As for overbuilt cages, my dad has asked me why I want to do this that and the other thing many times. Like I tell him, with his circle track roll cage its "if" he rolls(he has many times :rotfl:) for me with the crawler its more of "when". Like was said before, a drag racer flips their car they are likely starting all over you know? I've watched my dad rebuild his cage cause he flipped the car on its lid and I'd much rather just flip my rig back over and keep on wheeling.