Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll cage?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Aug 13, 2005.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Im building a roll cage in the back of my k5 using 2 off the stock roll bars that came in some of these vehicles since there already prebent. I am going to be extending one of them to fit in the middle of the truck roughly 12" high using the tubing that connects to the wheel well. Then I will be running 2 pieces from the middle to the back roll bar roughly 4 to 5'. I will also be connecting the middle roll bar to the front of the rear wheel well just like the back one is connected for strength & support. These roll bars are 2" OD and 1/8th" thickness. I found some 2" pipe with the same thickness and I was wondering if it would be ok to us this pipe for the two top lengths between the middle and rear roll bars or is there any safety issues here if pipe was used. I would think the pipe if anything would be strong enough depending on its metal composition.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  2. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Anybody?

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Dont use pipe, it is not designed to be put under the pressure of a vehicle in a rollover.

_jonathan

oh and i dont know if you noticed, but you said roll gage insted of roll cage twice :D

4. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

5. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

no pipe is not strong enough, it's intended as a means to transport something inside it not to be load bearing tube is designed to be a structural load bearer. sufice to say to get any 'pipe' to be strong enough it would be to big and to heavy to be applicable.