Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roll cage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Jun 28, 2001.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of reliable source for roll cage, builder. I saw yeild2me got one done in NC, and wondering how it turned out, price and such. I have look at smittybilt and another one. Wondering if prebent, sent to you to weld in is cheaper way to go that having a local shop make one.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

does smittybuilt makea full cage? i have seen the weld in front cage and the other half to that, but do they make a FULL cage?

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Depends on what you want done if you have one built.... I'm getting one done but it's costing me $800-$1000. It's going to be in the cab and extended over the back. Then when I remove the top it'll have a bolt on hoop that will go over the rear window so I roll it up and down and use it..... this cage will have the bars through the floor and to the frame. That way in a roll over I'll fair better. The front bench will be mounted to it with some grab handles in various spots... it's actually sort of modeled after the cage just built into the Blazer in that mag.... I can't remember what one off the top my head (someone help!)... but anyhow. Cost will depend on what exactly you want and how much of a cage you want. Even though I don't rock climb much, I want this full blown one. I keep seeing these semi wrecks and they scare me on tv. I know a semi hitting you is bad news. If I can at least fair a little better with this cage then it's worth it... prebent is going to be cheaper then this. But I'll still have to have it cut if I went that way because they never fit right. Then there is the question of installation since I don't weld. So take all this stuff into consideration before you buy and you should be able to determind was is best for your price range and needs.....

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

hey CaGal,
    Where you having it done? how far fr San Diego is it? i cn spot 1000 bucks now...

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

If you have a shop do it, they'll probably charge by the hour.
    So if you keep it simple, you might knock some cash out of the price. Pull the seats out, maybe even the carpet, anything they'd have work around. But keep the stuff in or avalibile to put in that they might have to build around. Bends will take some time to do, so keep them to a minium. Extra stuff, like "out fitters" or braces, take time to do and will add to the cost. Some of that stuff, you might be able to do yourself. But if you do have a shop do it for you, you could have it custom made to what ever your needs are.

Some of the prebent cages, might be a good place to start and added to later.

Twiztid

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have seen the smitty front cage kit for a 69-72. was decent and beds are correct but it does required fitment (as in you need a tubing cutter). What My guy did is buy a second main hoop mount it in the back and made stringers to tie into the factory hoop to get a full cage.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</A>

Grim-Reaper

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I live in Sacramento.... he's a friends friend. He is a welder by trade and makes them for Jeeps mostly... but since I know his friend he's doing it for me. He made one for a Burb and it was very nice... I suggest going to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pirate4x4.com>http://pirate4x4.com</A> and posting there you are looking for someone. I did this and found someone that way. I was considering hiring him before I met this guy. Seems to be lots of folks on that site who make them or have connections...

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

8. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Seventy4Blazer,

If you are interested in a full cage for your K5, check out the pics of my cage at the link below. If you are at Camp Pendelton, Thousand Oaks isn't that far away. I paid $2,400 for the cage in my Suburban, fully tied to the frame with urethane bushings. It also goes through the dash; no bruised knees to worry about. I'm sure that it would be considerably less for a Blazer than for the Suburban; lots less tubing needed. I was very happy with the guy that did mine. If you are interested, let me know and I'll put you in touch with him.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</A>

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

$2400??? ummm, i think you got screwed. You can buy your own jd2 bender with 2 sets of dies for about $800, buy a Dewalt chop saw for $200, buy a good 220 mig welder for around $700, considerably less for a used one, and 150 foot of .120 wall HREW tubing for about $120. That puts your total at about $1800 and you have killer tools to work with. The only thing I left out is the bushings, bolts, and foot plates which shouldn't cost too much. And if you want a tubing notcher although the chop saw will take care of that for you with a little ingenuity. Then you can build whatever you want out of tubing from now on since you've got the tools. With that chop saw and welder, all you'll need to add is a torch and grinder and you can probably beat the SEC prices on bumpers for your rig then.

I just can't believe everyone on here spends so much on the stuff that is so easy to fab up. I'd suggest spending the money on tools, taking the time to practice with them, and then building something you can really be proud of!!!

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>