Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roll cages?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudddog91, Jul 18, 2001.

1. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Hey anyone running an s/w racing roll cage in here?They offer them for 73-87 trucks and blazers,they are nhra approved and they are only 199.00 plus shippimg!Just want to know about the quality or if any ones had any problems!!!!!!!

2. NoFear

NoFear Registered Member

I'm not, but I've been looking for a good roll cage. Do you have their web site or something where I can read up on them?

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

well i cant aford one right now but i would like to get more info on them

77blazer see it at<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</a>

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

5. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

WHATS OP MUD DOG

6. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd say thats a good deal. Fab shops in colorado run about 150 for the rear rollbar and 400 for an entire cage.

K-5- because size DOES matter!

7. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

BaBlazer73 installed one. Looks pretty sweet. I just did a search and found this pic: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=144472&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers... and it's still not BIG ENOUGH!!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by SAVAGE1 on 07/18/01 11:22 PM.</FONT></P>

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You can look them up here... <a target="_blank" href=http://www.swracecars.com>www.swracecars.com</a>....

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

9. StageZ

StageZ Registered Member

I just got the smitty built yeterday and I like it... It's not as thick as I wanted but you cant get everything and with some foam covers it will look perfect...I havent yet put the front in, but with time and a new welder it will be soon... The 4 point is bolt on...easy DIY... (i recommend have a friend keep you company)... the 6 and 8 point need be welded on(to the 4 point bolt on)... they also have full roll kits(covers the whole back box) but cant put a bike in with that one...
    here is the page with some pics of the 4 point...
    http://k5pics.homestead.com/k5.html

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

clickable: pugsley.alloffroad.com

11. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

whose truck? what brand roll bar is that? and can the hard top be put on with the roll bar installed?

12. StageZ

StageZ Registered Member

It's my truck... It's a smitty built and I have no idea if it will fit... I'm hoping it will... if not, I'll take a grinder to the hard top or I'll have to cut and weld the front bars(no big deal)...... It is the kit for the Blazer so it should be all good...

13. 88streetblaze

i think i am going to get that one and some five point harness..yeah.. if it dosen't fit let us know...sweet

14. StageZ

StageZ Registered Member

do you have any ideas about the 5 point belts... I was thinking about them but didnt want to dish out for new seats.... any other way to hook them up...

15. 88streetblaze

yeah to the roll bar.. there is two points then you would have to make at least to more points in the floor if you can use the bolt hole for the factory belt latch(if not then three but that won't be hard). finding a secure place to mount the top to or even one if you get the y-type is the hard part unless you have a roll cage

16. 88streetblaze

almost forgot.. if you do it like that you shouldn't need seats. or at least that is how i've been looking at doing it

17. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Hey guys is the smittybilt rollbar going to save your life in a rollover?Its seems like alot of money to put it in and its not even nhra accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I know 199.00 is not much for a cage but i e-mailed them and they did say it was pretty labor intensive to install the cage correctly!They get 1600.00 to actaully install thier cage kit in a truck or blazer so............
    IM GOING FOR THE FULL PROTECTION OF A FULL CAGE!!!!!!!!

18. 88streetblaze

you do have a point but i don't do the full out off road thing so i really don't need the a protection of a eight of ten point cage, i just want something to hang my 5 way harness off of and basicly for minor protections from all the other idiots on the road if i get fliped and besides i've seen several blazers that have rolled and they hold up fairly well already with the integrated roll bar in the roof, now if i did get on the rough trails yeah i would go for the 8 point at least but not for my daily driver. speaking of how difficult was the smitty built to install?

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

As far as the integtity of the Smittybuilt bar, unless the changed the spec it is made of 2" x .120" wall DOM tubing. Way stronger than your floor. So untill you work the cage into the frame... Will it protect you in an offroad situation? Everyone needs to assess the type of wheeling they do. The NHRA no longer accepts a single bar, it must be a cage. Most of us are not taking these beasts to the digs and are not too worried about the rule book. Just my $.02.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>

20. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

You were going to mount the belts to the SEATS?!

The problem I have with 5 points is that the shoulder and submarine belts rarely get used, which means in an accident on the street you are worse off than you would be with a factory 3-point.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd