Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll Call:Who else is a Night Crew Warrior?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RobbieOH, Jun 29, 2002.

1. RobbieOH

RobbieOH Registered Member

Just wondering who else works whilst the "others" sleep?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, I usely sleep while everybody works in the day. Usely that is. I'm up for some unknown reson right now. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. RobbieOH

Me too, can't sleep for who knows what reason. Must be something in the water.

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I'm night crew as far as dishwashing in a nursing home goes... And most of the people in the building are asleep while I work /forums/images/icons/wink.gif...

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I normally work second shift. At the job I'm at right now everyone works a rotation of dayshift and afternoon shift. It sucks and really messes with the body clock.

Rene

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue">I worked the zombie crew for about 3 months at my last job ....... I hated it ! </font color>

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Depends on the time of year or season. I work from 6 AM to 2:30 PM, but sometimes we have schedule outages at night time to change out x formers and stuff. And when the monsoons come we often work 24 shifts to repair downed wires, poles, xformers damaged by lightning. Legally we have to have 9 hrs of rest before our next workday so many is the time a storm will hit, we'll work thru the night, come home and sleep during the day (get paid!!) and get called back in to work that night (overtime) get paid to sleep the next day. We call those storm clouds Accumulus Maximus Moneymus. My first week there we had a massive storm wipe out a 50 pole line that had transmission lines on it. I worked 72 hours straight. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

8. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Hey, I work when I'm needed, I'm a construction inspector, so when the concrete finishers work, I work. Here since it gets so hot in the summer time I end up working over night and into the day. Sometimes 22 hour days, get 4 hours off then 15 or so more, all week, and half day saturday's, we're a little short handed /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    It gets fun to drive 300 miles a day to some podunk town somewhere so they can get a Wal-mart /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif , you get to hallucinate the whole way home /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

9. RobbieOH

Man, I couldn't imagine working a 22 hour day, the longest I've worked is 14 hours. My shift is 10:30 pm to 7:00 am at the good old Q-F to the C.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I used to work overnights at a radio station. You get real friendly with the rest of the overnight world that way.... There's like a whole 'nother culture of night crew people...

11. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    There's like a whole 'nother culture of night crew people...

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly why I go grocery shopping, gas filing, and to Hardee's at midnight. No long lines, no rude people behind the counter, no stupid people shopping... Too bad we don't have a 24 hour K Mart or Target, I'd never have to see the sun or wacko people...

12. RobbieOH

Yeah, that and the whole other world of early morning people too. I must say I prefer the late nighters/early a.m.'ers to the "regular" people. Much more laid back.

13. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Im on rotation so I get the best of all worlds (or is it the worst?) haha. Changing shifts sometimes 3 times a month. Worked an on call shift once for 37.5 hours straight, talk about halucinating...I prefer sleep deprivation over drugs anyday /forums/images/icons/wink.gif .I am slightly allergic to large crowds and prefer night shift living, but the family time loss sucks. Cant quite convince the wife to go night shift and bring the kids with her...LOL