Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ROLL CALL: who has 7-8" of lift on a daily driver?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, May 26, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ROLL CALL: who has 7-8\" of lift on a daily driver?

is it nice, tolerable, too big? i need to know because i'm considering a 3" body lift and i'm not sure i want to go that tall with my daily driver. maybe the ORD 1" body or a 2" body lift would be better, i don't know. let me know if you have a daily driver this tall, if you like it or you would be willing to drive a suburban with 7 total inches of lift on the road every day.

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Re: ROLL CALL: who has 7-8\" of lift on a daily driver?

I had 7" with 37"s on my old F150 daily driver - it wasn't too bad except for city traffic (imports can disappear from view really easy/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif), and getting in/out got to be a chore after a while.

3. JackedK30

JackedK30 Registered Member

I run a Skyjacker 8" softride on an 83 one ton Chevy, and I love it. As far as the center of gravity goes, I was able to offset the difference somewhat with wider tires(38x15.5) He is right about the massive blind spots, and it being a big pain to get in and out of constantly. Also I don't like the way it tows trailers, being so tall, and I believe it isn't as safe as it should be for other people on the road, due to the longer braking distances w/ the big heavy tires. Bigger tires are much worse for balancing(especially anything made by TSL) although my new Parnelli Jones tires are as smooth as a car. Lots to consider

4. muddysub

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif hey welcome to the addiction!! thanks for the reply!

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

run 8"s on my 88 k5 with 39.5 boggers and it is pretty much a daily driver...love every minute of it...boggers are noisy but i love the sound...gas can be a pain but you gotta pay to play...getting in and out sucks too but i only do it a few times a day so its not bad

blind spots are a major concern but i say go for it...im going bigger here in a month or so

by the way...my boggers are balanced pretty daggone well and ride good on the street

Later

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I've got 7in of total lift with 37's on my truck and I love it. I drive curvy roads all the time without my swaybar hooked up and it works fine. As far as the blinds spots, I don't find them a problem. I've got those round convex mirrors on both my mirrors and I've got one of these <a target="_blank" href=http://www.babyproofingplus.com/usrimage/cat3335.jpg>baby viewer mirrors</a> just above my rearview mirror and you'd be amazed at how much it cuts back on you blind spots. If there is a car that pulls up close to me at a light, i wouldn't be able to see him with ANY of my stock mirrors, but with the baby mirror I can see him clearly.

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I have 4" suspension and 3" body lift on my 86 K5, right now... It's tolerable. it's a little bouncy, but its NOT a rough ride. The truck doesn't seem to handle that much different than the same vehicle without a lift. Turning I notice myself going a bit slower, I don't bank as much as I would without the lift...When I cross a bridge, the spot where the pavement changes, is the worst thing I have to drive over...there is a little shutter then but not bad, I can drive it with 1 hand on the wheel, I feel safe.. The biggest problem I can see if using this as a daily driver, is putting STUFF inside it...my kids get a kick out of having to climb up in, but if I were to use this daily, I may get tired of lugging grocery bags etc...but I don't know yet,,,ask me in about a month, when I've been driving it more..right now it's still new to me, so I think it's twice as cool as normal.

Brandy

8. Re: ROLL CALL: who has 7-8\" of lift on a daily driver?

I have driven my 88 Burb almost everyday to work and back and where ever I needed to go for over 4 years now, from 4:56 gears to 4:88's and 44" Boggers to 38" Radials. I have a 12" Superlift and 3" body lift on the Burb and I can say the worst thing about that big of a lift is the ride is rough and steering issues!! The steering is a pain for me cuz I don't have crossover. Hard to explain the steering issue, but to the left it pulls the draglink so it is fine, but to the right is pushes the draglink and stands it up a bit more causing steering loss to the right, so go crossover. If I had crossover I would be completely happy with driving it everyday without a complaint. I want more of a offroadable vehicle so I am looking at lowering to a 6" lift and not sure on the body lift issue yet.

9. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

4 and 3 lift drive it everyday and love doing it.

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have 9 in total (6 and 3) and 38 TSLs. I drive it daily and for a while I was driving it 30 plus miles aech way to and from work. Parking can be a challenge, and you have to remember to allow more space to stop, but I dont have any problems driving this one or any of my previous rigs, all of which were on 38 or 40s

11. muddysub

cool thanks a lot guys &amp; gals i'm thinking about a 2" body that'll be high enough..... for now/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I had an '86 K20 once with 8" front and rear Skyjacker springs. At first it had 40" Ground Hawgs which I sold and downsized to 38" Radial Swampers.
    And yes, this truck was a daily driver and it drove just fine. I didn't have this truck very long as the new buyer did not want the lift and tires, so I removed them and sold them back out.

Blzr4x4ngkid on this site has this old 8" lift on his Blazer now. He is also running 38" Swampers. I have pics of his Blazer, too, and it's pretty bad a$$. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

13. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

6"susp and 3" body with 39.5 60/14 4:88. Drive it everyday to work,groceries, pick the kids up at school and business trips within reasonable miles. Only issue is the steering but working on getting the crossover done.

Eat More Mud!!!!

14. muddysub

so it wouldn't be too bad with another 2" of height? i'm used to driving with my 4" and it's not bad at all.

15. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

I think the ride changes after you go to 8" - 12" compared to 6". But the only comparison for me is 6" Superlift compared to a friends 8" Superlift. Spring rate is alot different. I'm not sure about Skyjacker. Heard they are soft riding. Just my opinion..

Eat More Mud!!!

16. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Got a 6.5 BDS all spring lift with ORD shackles and 37in SSR's and it rides great, also got Rancho 9012's with the remote. IMHO the tank handles great with the shocks in 5, as long as you dont mind your kidneys and tummy taking a beating /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if you can get a mounting that doesnt look terrible,
    you should try a 6" convex mounted as far forward on the truck as possible.
    use a few bolts on the rad support as mount points or if you have aftermarket front bumper fab a vertical corner post to protect the front corners and mount mirrors.
    no more blind spots and you will not use the factory location morrors anymore(as if they work anyway once you are lifted)

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

has anyone had any experience with the rough country lift? i was thinking of going with that for starters..(my first lift...lol)..but then again it has the rear blocks..so would you really even notice a difference in the feel..if you had the same springs wiht just blocks under them? im going with a 4" lift. (eventually adding 2" body..but thats later!)

thanx-bryan

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the best lift is a mix of suppliers.
    exactly what the magasines say is bad.
    the rear shackle flip idea is popular way to lose blocks and maintain or improve ride, I believe that gains 2-4".

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wha tdo the magazines say is bad?
    Bryan