Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll Call!! Who's got a Compaq??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 55Willy, Mar 4, 2002.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Roll Call!! Who\'s got a Compaq??

This is more of a vent then an actual post. I own a compaq and I have had the worst time in the world trying to maintain a good connection to any ISP. So my question is:
    Who else has a POS compaq???

2. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Re: Roll Call!! Who\'s got a Compaq??

Could it be your modem/NIC card? You may also want to try to download new drivers for your modem or NIC, whatever you're using. I have 1 Compaq, 2 Dells, and 1 homemade computer at work. They all have their good days and bad, but my Dell laptop is definately the worst.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My old laptop was a compaq, I never had any connectivity problems (except when using a funky pre-release version of win2k with unreliable nic drivers).

Take 2 minutes to check your wires too. If you're on dial-up, make sure your phone line isn't loaded with static or you have a cruddy physical connection. If you're on broadband, make sure your net cable isn't crushed or damaged. Jiggle the plug in the port and see if the link led comes on or off with your actions.

If that's all good, I second re-installing the drivers.

good luck with it.

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I don't own a Compaq and I never will. I fix computers for a living and I thank Compaq for giving me so much work. Everyone trusts the big name and when I open them up, I find Elcheapo components the same or even worst than a cheap clone you'd buy for half the price. They always have compatibility problems too.

I'm sure you're problem must be a defective driver for your NIC/Modem. Try searching the Compaq website for an updated driver.

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Compaq's are [censored]... My broken down computer in my bedroom that doesn't even fire up any more is a Compaq... Of course it's also about 5 years old, but it's been a problem since the day we got it /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

6. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I agree with the compaqs being a piece of junk. Works OK for a while, then slows down and has error messages. Also get the illegal operations message too much. Bought a HP and sold the compaq for next to nothing.