Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ROLL ON BEDLINER!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tayven, Jul 7, 2004.

1. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

I am going to put the Herculiner in my truck tonight and I was wondering what I should do to prep it before hand? Should I try to grind a lot of the paint off? Degreaser? Any suggestions would be great!!

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

It should tell you exactly what you need to do.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

In general when painting and doing that kind of stuff the surface you are painting needs to be clean and atleast lightly sanded so that the new paint (or bedliner in this case) will adhere well. If there is rust or peeling paint that should be removed and sanded as well. The bedliner will probably go over rust but it would be better to get rid of it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

clean it extremely well with acetone then scuff entire surface to be covered with wire brush then re-clean with acetone if you think you missed a spot clean again. tape off anything you don't want Herc'd and roller on /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

any job is only as good and will only last if the prep work is done right so if you half ass it you'll get half ass results.

oh yeah and keep it off your Hootus that stuff don't come off. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

as a person that has used 2 gallons of herc... heed this advice...

1) dedicate a LOT of time to prep work... the coating will only be as good as the prep. Just like has already been said, use acetone, scuff, use more acetone, make sure its super clean/dry and then apply the herc.

2) wear elbow length rubber gloves. This stuff will stain skin a few layers deep and it will NOT come off for days unless you like digging chunks of flesh out just to get rid of the black color. I ignored this advice and ended up going to college for 2-3 days with very black hands. lol! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j