Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

roll on bedliner

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lunchbox, Jul 31, 2006.

1. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

how many people have done this, my carpet is crap and knowing me its just gonna get worse. i was thinking of removeing all my carpet and doing a roll on bed liner. how many have done this and what do you think of it?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Make sure you do a really good job with prep. It is nowhere near as tough as the spray on bed liners but the price is right.

3. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

what would you do to prep it and how was the noise/heat?

4. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I feel like i've typed this very sentence 40 times (do a search):

I used durabak on the entire floor of my burb. I used 40 grit sandpaper and a 3m abrasive wheel on my drill to make the surface nice and rough. Then I used xylene to clean it all up. I used about 1 1/2 gallons of durabak.

It didn't do much for the noise, and did nothing for the heat. My wife's purse actually melted to the floor. But other than that, I like it a lot and would do it again.

5. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

6. gtchief

gtchief Registered Member

I just herc'd my k5 about a month ago. I got the gallon kit for $60 and it only used like 3/4 of it so I did the inner fenders, bumpers, hood front, and some trailer. To prep I scuffed it all up with the supplied brillo pad thing and then cleaned it very well. Blew it out, cleaned with a dry rag, cleaned with reducer, then cleaned with acetone. So far its holding up, but time will tell for sure. At $60 vs $400+ what do you have to loose? Good luck.

7. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Got pictures?

8. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Search. I have, and have posted pics in the past. I used a Canadian product that you guys might not have, but it is super durable,and hasn't faded.

9. noahrob

I have searched "herculiner" "por15" "rust bullet" and "rustbullet". I am happy to searach, but not search what to search on...

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Search bedliner, durabak, speedliner. Should get you lots of info

11. noahrob

OK, so I am a tool. I searched bedliner the things Skigirl suggested and yup, there a crap load of posts. Here is what I learned. Pretty much across the board the key to applying bedliner is prep. Herculiner needing the most prep of what I read and Rust Bullet needing the least.

I only found one thread where the guy laid down Rust Bullet and then Herculiner over it, but from what I read (and please correct me if I am incorrect) if you prep well, you should be able to lay Herculiner right down on the metal without needing a base coat, in this case Rust Bullet.

So, has anybody else done Rust Bullet and then herculiner over it?

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I rolled Durabak over POR 15, and I think Rust Bullet is probably similar. For POR 15, you either need to sand it well before you prep for the bedliner (in Durabak's case you must clean well with xylene) or use their Top Coat Primer before painting or putting anything over the POR 15.

You can lay any bedliner down over bare metal, but must prep per bedliner instructions.

13. gtchief

gtchief Registered Member

Noah,

If you want some pics email me at shick_t2///at///yahoo///dot///com

Obviously remove the /// at and dot. Just trying to avoid more spamming than I already get. Put a good title too. Thanks