Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Roll pin question on Dana 60 carrier

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tomseviltwin, Aug 21, 2002.

1. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to drive out roll pin so I can remove cross pin to install my new Lockright. Using hammer and drift, but the damn thing won't budge. Any ideas? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Man, that's a tough call, this close to BB02. I wonder if the cross shaft is twisted in the bore, and the roll pin is busted off inside?? My first thought was to hit it harder, but on second thought......Can you move the cross pin at all in any direction?

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I had the EXACT SAME situation (minus the ript to Moab around the corner /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif ) i too was worried about hitting it harder. but what i eventually did was hit the crap outta the crosspin and eventually the roll pin broke---went to Lowes (or any hardrawe store and bought some moreroll pins the same size.----may not be the best method but it worked for me

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Try using a smaller punch. The hole that the roll pin is in necks down on the inside so that only a punch the same or smaller diameter as the roll pin will fit.

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys,
    It doesn't look like anything is twisted in there. It's just stuck!!! I do see where it necks down.
    I just sprayed it with pb blaster and will try beating it harder with a smaller punch in the morning. Unfortunately, my plans for installing all this stuff this week went out the window. I'm still going to Moab this weekend, but I'll still be in 3/4 ton unlifted gear. Besides, 3/4 ton unlifted gear isn't so bad. It's still gonna be fun.