Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rollbar Dos And Donts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GEORGIA GABE, Jun 20, 2005.

1. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

I just bought a smitty built rollbar, it bolts in to the body. I was going to make lower plates below the body that it would bolt through and then tie those in to the frame. also the rear supports bolt to the upper bar. I was going to get everything positioned how i wanted them and then weld these. any advise on dos and donts for the rollar?
    gabe

2. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Don’t tie it to the frame. A cage should be tied to the frame, a roll bar shouldn’t. Anything that isn’t tied to the frame is just a roll bar, or a jungle gym. Let the debate begin! ;)

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I would listen carefully to what this man says......

He may not use many words, but I have come to the conclusion after reading his posts over these last few months that he certainly knows what he is talking about.

That is all.

:usaflag:

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

uh oh, the never ending "to the frame or not" cage debate!! look out! Personally, I am going with the "pod" idea... jungle gym like cage attached to the body in about 16-18 different places. Should hold up plenty well to flops and offroading type rolls. If you plan on flying off lions back or endo'ing your rig at 80mph, then yeah, prolly want a full on tube chassis.

j