Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rollbar instalation for 73 Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ian, Apr 18, 2000.

1. ian

ian Newbie

I have a 73 K5 Blazer and I recently got the OEM rollbar for it. The only problem that I have on instaling it is I am not sure how to bolt it to the floor. I am wondering if I am suppose to tap threads into the floor or if I am suppose to use nuts and bolts. If I am suppose to use nut and bolts I am wondering how I can get to the bolt from the bottom. Anything will help.
    Thanks

2. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

The thing should just bolt down, unless someone has cut and replaced the bed in it. If that is the case I would make a backing plate and put it under each leg of the bar and just bolt it to that. The stock set-up is not a very strong design, so I would suggest you get a rollbar that will bolt down to the frame.

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Mm. '73 had no rollbar option; that came in '74, so your truck won't have bolt holes. Not what you wanted to hear, I know.

Good news is that (presumably) the stock 74-75 rollbar should fit; you'll hafta drill, and IIRC you can weasel down there enough to get some nutzerts or nuts onto the bolts. Might require a 2" diameter arm with four elbows, like working on a Japanese car ;-)

There should also be tabs that bolt to the door, err, sides, a few inches in from the handles and about the same height. Getting there may be a bitch, cuz I couldn't figure out how to get behind mine.

HTH ;-(

-- A

'74 K5 Blazer "Tank Grrl"
    '77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    B.S. My 73 came from the factory with front and rear rollbars, and the 73 shop manual shows them in graet details.
    LOL

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Really a Rear roll bar!!???
    WOW do have any pics??
    I never heard of a rear one by Chevy.
    Cool stuff can you scan and post??
    Thanks

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Okay, so I stand corrected. Geez, lighten up. Somewhere I coulda sworn I had a GM brochure that says "New for '74" and lists the padded rollbar. Also remember I'm talking model years, not calendar years.

You got RPO codes for both rollbars?

-- A

'74 K5 Blazer "Tank Grrl"
    '77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Yes I have some pictures(on Kodak paper ), sorry don't have acsee to a scanner !