Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rollbar question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rchandler, Jan 26, 2003.

1. rchandler

rchandler Registered Member

if i put a rollbar in my 72 k5 and then connect the main hoop to the windshield frame will it stress the windshield too much,i think j**p did this, my left rocker box is non exsistant the right is in good shape. i can have a local shop bend a custom rollbar or cage, i'd rather do this than a lot of underside fab work.

72 k5
    96 k3500 4dr 454 5spd dually
    69 camaro 468 ss

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

If you are going to run a bar to the windshield, you might as well drop it down the A-pillar and connect it to the floor. I dont believe that the windshield and the little A-pillars are going to be of much help if you roll. However, if you drop that bar to the floor you will live long enough to roll back over and drive home. In addition to that, you can have a small loop welded into the crotch at the roof and the A-pillar bar to use as a hand-hold to help people get in-out... I dont remember who, but someone here has that done and it looks and seems to function very well. I know its on my long list of things to do. While they built my a$$ far enough off the ground to get in my K5, they built my wife's a little lower /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif and she pushes on the door to get in... never a good idea, that loop will save my door bushings/hinges. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. rchandler

rchandler Registered Member

protection is secondary cause i only play in the mud , mostly street driving. the main reason for it is to keep the body from sagging due to the rocker box problem