Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rollbar soft top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skinny D75', Aug 11, 2000.

1. Skinny D75'

Skinny D75' Registered Member

Need to know where to find a rollbar soft top (bikini) for my 75'. Do they make them? I went a surfin and couldn't find nothing.

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

I have had no luck finding one for my 75 also. A boat shop quoted me $150 to make me a custom unit. I now have two "WIDE LOAD" signs rapped around the spreader bars on my cage as a bikini. It looks cool and I got the things for free from a trucker friend. I also know of a guy who is useing a bikini from a Scout on his 71 K5. It fits well enough because the scout is kind of boxy and the K5 tapers to her top. There is about a 6" difference between the two tops. Hope this helps

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Check out the link to my site and look in scary pics section. I made a bikini out of a $15 tarp from Northern a $20 snap tool kit and some conduit from Home Depot. NOBODY makes a bikini for K5. About the closest you will find is one for a FJ40 but it won't cover the rear seats if thats a concern.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. James

James 1/2 ton status

Actually, If I recall there is a place in CO that makes them. cheap too. I called 4 wheel wholesalers in L.A. and they referred them. I will call them asap and update with the phone number.
    James

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Hey Stephen I would like to see the wide load bikini top send pics... Did I just say wide load and bikini top in the same sentence, HU HU HU HU HU HU !!!

6. James

James 1/2 ton status

I'm wrong. Called on it and Grim is exactly right. They do not make a specific top for the blazer. Kayline makes it for the scout which they claim fits well on the 73-75k5. Thats maybe why I made my own. somewaht like Grim did. Bought all black fabric at a linen store(almost like vinyl with white woven underside). Also bought the nylon webbing(belt like) strips. Went to a sheet metal shop and cut a strip of 3/8 in by approx the width of the top of windshield. Drilled the hole in it to mount to the brackets your convt top mounts to (3 bracket). Had the top sewn around the metal strip which I bolted to the 3 mounting brackets. Then sewed the 4 nylon belts (2 outside 2 inside spaced evenly with the width of the top) to the bikini top with approx 3 ft excess to loop around stock roll bar and back to the 2steel loops in each nylon belt to create the tighten by pulling. I sewed the 2 metal loops per belt approx 1/2 the dist from mounting brackets to the roll bar so the top would not flap up and down with highway speed. sounds very confusing but it was quite simple and cost a total of 40.00 plus 30.00 for the sewing and stitching. Patterned it after a Heep bikini top