Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rollcage--welded or bolted??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeild2me, Jun 10, 2001.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

taking my truck in next week to get the custom cage made and installed. when i talked to this guy, he told me he would mount the cage on 6" X 6" plates and weld them to the floor. i have heard that this is not the "preferred" method, but have seen tons of them welded, bolted, and both. what is the best and why? this guy makes ALOT of cages for the racers who race 1/4 mile at rockingham nc, and i have seen his work and its good. i say this to let you all know this isnt some redneck who has a welder and a tubing bender.

BTW-since i cut the top off of my 89 jimmy, i want a full cage to cover the rear passengers. he is going to make it out of 1.75" .120 DOM and said it would cost around 600-700 bucks. one other note, i have a 3" body lift, will this effect the way the cage is mounted??

sorry this is long, but thats a lot of cash to have done incorrectly!!

thanks rob

AIRBORNE!!

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

ttt [​IMG]

AIRBORNE!!

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Have him install outriggers(thats what i call em anyway) and frame mount it. If you're installing it for protection go to the frame. If its for looks go to the floor. Mines goin to the frame.

PURE INSANITY If ya can't stop,Smile as you go under!
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

4. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I agree with pureinsanity. Mine goes to a plate at the floor and bolts through the floor to another plate underneath with outriggers mounted to the frame with urethane bushings to keep the noise down. Much stronger that way, and will keep it from just punching through the floor in case of a rollover.

502Burban

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

As long as he's doing quality welds either way is fine. The Issue with backing plates is the bottom needs to be a different size than the top. If they are the same size then they can act like a sheer and cut through the floor. Mine is bolt only because of the way my truck is built and lack of mig welder. My cage ties into the heavy suports for the body so it's just about like being to the frame just using the cab suport for the bushings. This was possible because of the way I replaced the floor. Even though it's not apparent my seat bolts to the cage because the sub frame for my floors is bolted through the body to the cage. My tail pan has also been replaced with a 7 inch wide C Channel and the cage sits on that then to the body mounts. That fails the impact ripped my heart off my aorta and I'm dead anyway LOL.
    For what your doing the more mounts and the stiffer you can make the cage the better off you will be. Tie it into the frame if you can.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I welded mine in. I also have a 3" body lift and highly recommend the extra "outriggers" be added. I added a couple to mine. from the bottom of the floor where the cage is welded to the frame rails.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!