Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rollcage with stock AC vents?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by IGOR, Apr 12, 2006.

1. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So I have my 72 CST K5 - I would really prefer to keep the stock AC vents on each side of the dash.

Has anyone put the front pillar so it follows the sides of the windshield, then goes through the dash to the floor, instead down the windshield and just inside of the door (right where the AC vents are)

Any ideas? :confused: :confused:

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You've got the idea...

I did some preliminary mock-ups of the setup you describe (through the dash and behind the dashpad)...it's dead-sexy. The only problem is how to actually install it.

With clearances so tight, you'll have to either weld the cage together in place, or build the front A-pillars in two pieces with a "sleeve" so that you can remove the cage if you ever needed to. (that's how I plan to do it)

It's a complex set of bends and angles, but you can run the bars really tight to the windshield frame and save your vents....you may need to dimple the flexible vents slightly to clear, but it shouldn't affect their operation.

:usaflag:

3. IGOR

The mockup you did - where did you sleeve it?

Man I wish you were still in CA - I'd just have you do it - and come down and get it when it was ready! (I still have my tail light brushguards I could trade you!)

Obviously I'd have to pull the windshield - it seems in my mind's eye the sleeve would be where it comes right out of the dash - or just after, parallel to the windshield halfway up - which seems like not a good place for a sleeve - due to strength requirements in a roll...

Do you have any pics of the mock up you did Greg?

4. Greg72

I was planning to sleeve behind the dash in the straight section of tube just past the final bend.

You could load the cage from above....(basically a 6-point cage with only the upper 1/2 of the A-pillars) and then connect the lower straight legs of the A-pillars from underneath....the bottom leg would maybe only be 24" long or so??

My idea was to sleeve the A-pillar internally, and then maybe even put an outer sleeve with a clamping mechanism so I wouldn't have to weld it permanently. Maybe some "through bolts" also to prevent shifting of the clamp in a rollover....

I have some pics somewhere, but nothing that will be very useful probably...

5. IGOR

Got it - good idea sleeving both sides of the tube. Plus if you did it right - it would be totally hidden behind the dash - you'd never know it was there...

Man - that'll be slick - now you got me all excited about doing this!

Your mockup - was it using 1.75" OD or 2" OD tubing?

Could even tie the bars for the seats into that lower A-pillar section -

Cool - thanks Greg! - Any other tips?

6. IGOR

Hey Greg - was your mockup 1.75 or 2" tube?

7. Greg72

2" DOM

Here are some clues to get you started...

1. Remove dash pad
    2. Cut approximately 4" across the front of the dash from the A-pillar (where the slots are)
    3. Then cut straight back from the front cut, towards the windshield.
    4. Leave at least a 1/2" lip of metal as you follow the profile of the lower windshield shape.

When you're done you will have a sort of "triangle" shaped opening. It will give you enough room to position the tubing and get it fished in there....

Once you have the design finalized, you can shape the removed piece to fit around the cage tube. Then, I'd envisioned putting a rubber grommet around the bar to prevent metal to metal contact....then trim the dash pad slightly (if needed) to clear the tube also...

Hope that helps...post up pics as you go.

:usaflag:

8. IGOR

9. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    E-mail the guy,ask for some detailed pic's of the dash/rollbar area.

Looks like exactly what you guys are talking about.

10. Greg72

Yeah, no kidding....ask him how he got those dash bars installed in an enclosed top vehicle. Maybe he pulled the windshield before the install for extra room...?? :thinking:

11. IGOR

Well I guess I won't be buying that truck - LOL

His response...

Unfortunatly the truck is not here at our shop and I have no access to it. I didn't take the pictures like I usually do and let someone else do it. He didn't shoot the interior very well. I will try to contact the owner and see if he can email me some photos and ask him about the roll cage.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Kind Regards,
    Dan Hillebrandt
    www.motoeXotica.com
    Shop: 1-636-343-9393
    Cell: 1-636-262-5372

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

By the looks of the (guessing) new paint job, I would guess that he had the windshield still out when he did the cage.