Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ROLLCAGE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BOWTIE, Dec 28, 2000.

1. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

HAS ANYONE INSTALLED A SMITTYBUILT CAGE KIT IN THIER K5. I'M ABOUT TO PICK ONE UP FOR ABOUT $250. JUST WANT TO KNOW IF IT'S WORTH THE MONEY. SOME PICTURES WOULD BE NICE.[​IMG] THANKS.

MY K-5 DOESN'T LEAK... IT JUST MARKS ITS TERRITORY.

2. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Been trying to find a cage kit for my K5 do you have a part number for that kit ? Let me know how it goes.

3. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

Seem to have miss placed the invoice for the kit. I did order the kit from 4wheel parts if that helps. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and I'll ask them for part numbers.

4. K5-Kowboy

K5-Kowboy Registered Member

You can go to Smittybuilts web site...I think the address is www.smittybuiltinc.com and input your yr, make and model and they will tell you exactly what rollcages will fit that vehicle, as well as the part number and price. There is also a 1-800 number on the site that if you call, will give you the phone number to a Smittybuilt dealer local to you. Just went through all of this today for my rig. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]<font color=blue> K-5 Kowboy </font color=blue>[​IMG]

Up and Down and All Around..........

5. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Just installed the weld in front cage kit that goes either too there rollbar or a stock one.It fit very nice.It is made over sized so you will either need a tubing notcher or a steady hand witha ginder.By the way i bought it from 4wphs for 90 bucks plus 10 handling.But i had too pick it up due too it can only be truck frieghted.The smitty built part #BL84.Not the greatest pics.The kit only comes with the two bent bars for each side and the bar across the top of the windshield.Not the greatest pics.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1414928&a=10579969>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1414928&a=10579969</A>
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Bigd on 12/28/00 08:51 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

6. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I just installed one in mine, I have pics that I will try to have on my website by tomorow.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://dblazer.coloradok5.com>http://dblazer.coloradok5.com</A>

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I have one in my Blazer and it went in well. The bars are oversized some, so a small amount of cutting is necessary. I also added two bars across the center (for CB mount), one at shoulder height for a harness, and one on each side from front to rear at the floor level. It is very sturdy and stiffened the body up quite a bit. Sounds like your price is a little high though. I only paid 190 for the rear roll bar and the front cage at a local 4 wheel drive shop. I also welded the kickers to the roll bar instead of bolting them in.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I put the whole kit into my '87, it is a great roll cage for the money. I made big 1/4" plate steel sandwich plates to go on the underside of the body, it really stiffened it up and gives me peace of mind that the cage wouldn't punch a hole through if I were ever to roll over. The only thing I want to do is put a bar across the dash, for more side to side stiffness, it shakes at certain times, and also I want to make custom switch panels for my lights and ARB switches there. I believe I got mine from a 4x4 parts dealer for about $175 complete, so your price does sound high...

9. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I picked the same thing up a couple of month's ago and that's about what I paid. ~150.00 for the roll bar and ~90 for the front cage kit. You have to cut down the bars a little to get it to fit. The only things I would change is throw the washers away that come with the kit and make plates to sandwich the mounting plates to the body. It won't do you any good if it rips loose from the body on the first impact. Second is the rear rollbar will not protect the rear seat passengers. I am having a welding shop weld my front cage up ( to make sure it's done right) along with making a hoop to extend the cage over the rear seat.

10. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Did most of you guys do the welding yourself? elkboy, how much is the shop charging you to do the welding for the front and the rear hoop as well.

BLAZER FOOD!!
    [​IMG]

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I bought the Smittybuilt cage that attaches to the factory roll bar. My plan is to tack weld everything in place and then have a certified welder do the real welding. A roll bar can be the difference between life and death and there's only one way to test it. [​IMG] I sure as hell don't want to find out halfway through a rollover that my welding wasn't up to snuff and my cage is coming apart! [​IMG] It's too late to fix it then...

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

12. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I'm in the same boat as HARRYH3. My blazer is still in project stage, so I have not got the final welds done ( I need to get it running first), but the shop I talked to would charge ~$65.00 an hour plus materials to weld and create the hoops I need. Even at $200+ dollars, it's well woth the insurance to get it done right.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by elkboy on 12/29/00 02:23 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hey Elkboy, welcome............Gresham Oregon here.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

14. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

I got those part numbers: back roll bar BL478, front add on bars BL84. HOPE THIS HELPS.

15. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I'll extend my welcome to you as well, it's nice to see more oregon guys on here.
    I'm in SE Portland
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com