Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rollcages??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazen_md, Jan 8, 2003.

1. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Looking to put a rollcage on my 90k5. I plan on wheeling this summer with the top off and I plan on buying a soft top. I was wondering if I should go with something like a rollcage from smittybuilt or does anyone else make a better one. Or should I get one custom fabbed??? Any help would be great thanks.

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Echobit.com sells bolt together cages. The year list ends at '89, so you may want to send a pm to BorregoK5 to see if it would fit.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Here is the best deals that I have found.

swracecars

4. Tuff84blaze

Tuff84blaze 1/2 ton status

I just got the SmittyBiltt one for Christmas (PN BL478)and it was easy to install, and only cost $170 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    The reason I went with the smitty was because they also sell a weld in front portion (PN ?) for an extra $100, that i plan on adding later. If you want I can look up both part #'s to make sure there right.

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I got mine from S&W and was VERY disappointed in their customer service. I was not shipped what was agreed upon, and I ended having to pay $150 more than I was quoted. If you call them just be sure they know EXACTLY what you want.

Ken H.

6. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Will the smittylbuilt fullfill the requirements of a rollcage when I go wheeling in the summer because I plan on running the soft top or no top at all in the summer. And where I go calls for a rollcage. So I am wondering if the smittybuilt will meet that.

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Most places that require a roll bar on a Blazer when the top is off are referring to only the rear section, since there is no longer anything over the passenger compartment. The front already has a 'cage' built into the body. The smittybuilt roll bar for the rear is an add on section to a front cage. I believe this is the way it goes with Smittybuilt. You may be able to adapt a rear section to work stand alone, or else you would need to get the front hoop also, if you were not already planning on it. Just something to keep in mind. I would recommend doing the whole shot, front and rear. For safety and also it will brace the flimsy Blazer body quite a bit and stop the flexing of it.

The smittybuilt cage(how ever you do it_ should work for you to pass the "needing a cage" to wheel requirement. We have the same rules for the sand dunes around here.

Just another note... its not cheap. I looked into around here and not many people carried it, and the few that did wanted like $800 for the complete cage.

Ken H.

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

When it comes to a roll cage I would get one local, that way you can have a strong voice on how it is designed and if something doesn't fit just right you can just take your K5 back to them.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the smitty comes in 2 seperate packages... the standard roll bar has the hoop that goes behind the front seats and has supports that go towards the back, bolting just behind the wheel wells on mine. The other package is the "interior tube kit" which makes your roll bar a full cage by adding tubing that runs from said roll bar, over the door tops and down to the floor by the firewall. That kit also inlcudes a bar that goes along your dash.

I am not going to do it, but i have read that some ck5'ers have bought a second roll bar kit, trimmed it down a bit, and mounted its main hoop in the rear of their rig just behind the pass seats for a full cage. I dont have a rear seat anymore so I dont need to do that... maybe some1 who has can post pics...

j

10. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I got mine fom S@W. was very happy. shipped within 2 days. [​IMG]